iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Casket building

Started by busenitzcww, July 08, 2020, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busenitzcww

I've built a lot of various project for customers over the years, but my 95 year old grandpa passed away this last friday(which wasn't unexpected) and the family asked if I would head up building a casket. We had 24 hours to get it done, so I went online and found some plans that night, and then we got started the following morning. 12 hours later we wrapped it up and got ready to take it to the mortuary. One of my uncles was a shop teacher for a couple years and fairly experienced, and several cousins jumped in to help as well. It would have been neat to use wood milled off of my dads ground which my grandpa bought for him when my dad got married, but I didn't have anything planed and we were crouched for time. We ended up using some cherry and walnut I had on hand already. It came together a lot better/quicker than I thought it would, and am so glad we were able to honor my grandpa one last time. He was a very simple man having lived through the Great Depression, and probably would have balked at all the work we put into it, but I'm glad we did it 
We were able to take a 4 generation picture on Father's Day which is the last photo of him alive.
anyway!

WV Sawmiller

Sorry for your loss. Great looking piece and a fitting memorial and way to honor your grandfather.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don P

I've done something similar for a friend. I called mutual friends and it is a special thing to work together to honor an old friend one last time. Well done  :)

doc henderson

That is a neat idea and glad you were able o pull it off in a family fashion.  sorry for you loss, but looks like he did well till the end and at age 95 that is something.  Best Regards.  will have to meet sometime since we are relative neighbors.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

Glad you got some fond memories with him. Great job on the casket. Very nice and special. I have a friend that made a nice live edge urn in a hurry for his wife's mom that passed away. They were all amazed, emotional and the funeral director was really impressed. 

samandothers

Sorry for your loss of your grandfather.  

You and your family members did a great job.  What a way to honor him.  

gspren

I'm sure he's proud of all of you!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Roxie

What a wonderful tribute to your grandpa. The picture is priceless. 

Before Cowboy Bob passed, he had selected his coffin that was Amish made. It was birch with a deep blue stain and was beautiful.

My deepest condolences for your loss. 
Say when

Bruno of NH

Sorry for your loss
Beautiful job and craftsmanship. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ron Scott

~Ron

dgdrls

Prayers and condolences on the loss of your Grandfather,
A wonderful honor you and your family extended in his memory.
I too have a four generation photo,  you'll cherish it more and more as the years pass,

D

busenitzcww

Thanks guys, I'm sure this will be something I remember him by. Yeah Doc it'd be fun to connect sometime! I want to do an open house sometime but not sure now is the time to do it lol

Jeff

It was a wonderful life that must have inspired such a wonderful gift, and honestly I think the biggest gift was to yourself.  You did this and its awesome.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

petefrom bearswamp

Sounds like a life well lived.
What a privilege for you folks to build that casket.
I'm sure he is looking down and is very proud.
I love that generational photo
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

low_48

I love 4 generation photos. Sorry for your loss. 

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

hackberry jake

Great craftsmanship! 
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!