iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The accuracy of touch

Started by DMcCoy, November 24, 2023, 07:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMcCoy

A machinist friend remarked about the accuracy of a persons fingers in feeling the difference between uneven parallel surfaces-- .0015"!!!.  Sounded kinda nerdy but interesting.
I got out some shim stock and feeler gauges and placed them on my table-saw.
Rubbing my finger from surface to surface-
.001"  I couldn't feel the difference.
.0015"  This I could reliably feel.
.002"   Super obvious.
I'm now "calibrated".

Magicman

@doctorb once said that the hand has the most nerves than any other body part.  I figured it would be the feet because it seems that I can feel a grain of sand inside of my boot with my socks on.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Pictures are not needed to prove this point.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

I'm with MM on the feet. I can't walk barefoot any distance unless it's pure sand. If I could hand stand, I could walk over angular pebbles no problem. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

maineshops

Was a machinist for 40 or so years and still have a small shop. I relied on feel and hearing a lot. Now that I'm partially blind with macular I depend on those senses even more. When I crank the handles on the lathe or mill I can easily tell what the cutter is doing. After Carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand the left hand is slowly taking over some of the duties. The body is truly an amazing thing. Dan
Phil:4, 13

thecfarm

I use to sort leather for shoes. After a few years I could just about tell the weight, thickness, of the side of leather.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

This isn't accuracy to that degree, but after years of sawing at the mill, I could tell if an 1 1/8" was right on or off as I walked past the pile and just grasp one as I walked by. It was my job for it to be right. My hand was more accurate than a board pilers tape. I say that because it was usually me that discovered discrepancies and not the guys that were supposed to letting me know if there were any.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

It's sorta like pacing distance and using that to estimate area. Had a fellow GPS the perimeter of a piece, and I just paced off distances to do samples. I could fit in 16 points as it turned out. I said to the guy on the GPS, it must be close to 16 ha. Yes, he said, it was very close.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scsmith42

About 40 years ago I went to really great Chiropractor in Austin Texas.  One day he remarked that his final exam from Chiropractic school involved locating the position of a human hair placed in-between the sheets in the middle of a 4" thick phone book.  

A human hair is typically around .0007 thick!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

beenthere

:D :D
Was he a brother to WV Sawmiller? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I bet he could bend spoons. ;D

Hilltop366

A auto body guy told me that a long time ago, he would work on a spot that looked good but would keep rubbing his hand over it and working it. Other tricks were to spray some primer on it and look at it while the primer was wet and shiny then the next step was to spray a coat of red primer then grey over that and lightly sand so the high spots were red and low spots grey.

Magicman

Quote from: scsmith42 on November 25, 2023, 02:55:48 PMphone book
What is a "phone book" ??  You gotta be gettin' old to remember those!!  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Hey, I still get an annual phone book. Got my 2024 two weeks ago. I'm on land line. ;D The phone company does not issue them, Yellow Pages does these days. And their books are also all online where you can flip through like a book. I know lots of people that don't use cell phones.

Magicman

Yup, my reply was "tongue in cheek".  Phone books are sorta like pay phones.

firefighter ontheside

yellow pages have gotten very small.  Most businesses aren't interested in paying to have their business in the phone book anymore.  My wife(audiologist) still has her number in there because older folks are a big part of her customer base and they still want to use a phone book.  When she opened her business in 2002 the phone book for this county was about 1" thick.  Now it is 1/4".

I'm not a very good drywall taper and apparently my hand accuracy is not very good.  When I taped my bathroom drywall years ago, I sanded and then felt with my hand and decided I had done a good job and it was ready for paint.  After I painted I realized how badly I had done.  It's still that way today.  I haven't felt the need to re-do it in 21 years.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SwampDonkey

Of course only residential land line numbers are listed in YP. I did notice that not all auto dealers advertise now. The schools, telephone company, emergency, government numbers are all listed. Our phonebook was never very big, low population density. We have two area codes now because of the cell phones, otherwise wouldn't need two. And the cells are confusing because on land line, a 278 number tells me they live in Holmesville. A 391 cell number I would think Florenceville, but could be in Juniper, where land line is 246. :D

scsmith42

Quote from: Magicman on November 28, 2023, 06:55:28 PM
Quote from: scsmith42 on November 25, 2023, 02:55:48 PMphone book
What is a "phone book" ??  You gotta be gettin' old to remember those!!  :D
Well, the event in question did take place before the popularity of cell phones and before Al Gore invented the internet....
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Broncman

I used to do some high end auto work and painting. I could feel the body work better than I could see it! Even for large flat areas, I could feel waves that took a very large flat board to do the guide coat.   

If I could not feel it, you could not see it!
Frontier OS31 bandsaw mill
Dehumidifier Kiln with sanitize heat,
Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Stihl and Huskies...

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: beenthere on November 25, 2023, 03:31:33 PM
:D :D
Was he a brother to WV Sawmiller?

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I would not have thought the human hand was the most sensitive body part but I figured if someone went around testing shims with the most sensitive body part he'd end up in jail or the psych ward. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!