iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain log roller.

Started by Kenny.jenkins, November 17, 2020, 08:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny.jenkins

I have a 2006 LT 40 Wood Mizer. I have added hydraulics and log turner.I would like to have a chain log roller/turner. I was wondering if anyone has plans on how to build one. I have searched the forum and found some, but none that tell me how to build one.
Thanks, Kenny
Kenny

Iwawoodwork

Piney Woods put some drawings in a post  on this forum a while back.

Iwawoodwork

Woops my mistake  , his were a claw turner,  sorry.

Kenny.jenkins

No problem, I already made that one. looking for a little more speed.
Kenny

kelLOGg

Find someone with a Cooks mill - they use roller chains.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

longtime lurker

I wouldn't mind a set of drawings for a good chain turner either
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

PAmizerman

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

longtime lurker

Quote from: PAmizerman on November 18, 2020, 05:47:34 PM
Interesting style of chain turner.
2:25
SAWING LINE WRAVOR HI-TECH PERFORMANCE WRC 1250 AC - YouTube
Simple, effective, pretty much bulletproof if you build it strong enough. me like!
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

mike_belben

Quote from: PAmizerman on November 18, 2020, 05:47:34 PM
Interesting style of chain turner.
2:25
SAWING LINE WRAVOR HI-TECH PERFORMANCE WRC 1250 AC - YouTube
Note the CNC style cable raceway chain and sawdust vacuum gutter layout.  Very sleek packaging concept. 
A log turner is just a big hydraulic barsaw.  Clone that and size it up for a standard AA mount hydraulic motor with your favorite flavor of AG chain.  Agri supply and surplus center. 
Praise The Lord

Banjo picker

I don't know where you are in Tenn. but you can come to northeast Mississippi and get dimensions and pictures of mine.  Got a Cooks AC36 has chain turner.  Tim 
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

boardmaker

That log turner works slick.  That design has been in use by several companies on large scale resaws to turn cants on a runaround.  Very fast.

My only concern with most standard mills:  The log would have to be on a sawmill that cuts in the center of the deck and not clamped off to one side.  I have a feeling that if you turned the log in the center of the deck and then tried to clamp it against the backstops(side supports), it may roll on you.

Vautour

I have yet not found any homemade hydraulic chain log roller myself.... i will be building a Manually powered chain log roller for my manual mill this winter,    
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Satamax

Guys, i've always wondered about chain rollers.  

Having just two powered sprockets is enough i think!  ;D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

pineywoods

When I built the original pineywoods hydraulics, I did consider a chain turner but instead opted for a modified claw turner. A chain turner is good for one thing only, rolling logs or cants. The modified claw is a bit slower but also serves quite well as a 2 plane clamp. Two  functions for the price of one. The scottish ancestry again.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Cruiser_79

I have two chain rollers. Can make some pictures. It looks quite simple. But if I will ever buy an other mill I would like rollers like these; https://youtu.be/HayLF5kS7Ig

Ed D

Here is one that was added to a Frick circle mill if it is any help.
Lower cylinder is disconnected but was connected into the eyelet just above the pin.
Hydraulic motor was reversible.
Hope it might help. :)

Thank You Sponsors!