iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing and drying time for juniper?

Started by justallan1, September 24, 2013, 09:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

I finally found a bunch of juniper trees big enough for a couple projects and am wondering what would be the average drying time on 2" slabs and 6x6 posts. I'll be sticker stacking them in my canning/utility room down stairs which is heated and have a fan on them. Also, how much over size should I saw them if I'm shooting for 2" after drying and planning both sides?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Allan

redprospector

Allan,
Our Juniper is a little different than yours. I know it has a scientific name, but it escapes me right now. Locally known a "alligator bark Juniper". It's very unstable, and will split and crack very bad when drying. I usually let my logs set for at least 6 months, if not a year before I mill them. Seems to help with the splitting. Your juniper may behave differently, but this has been my experience.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

backwoods sawyer

I pulled several loads of Juniper out of the Modoc NF over the winter most went thru a kiln for flooring but a good portion was air dried for craft wood, what i gathered was treat it like any other cedar and don't rush the drying to much.
If you are planing both sides give yourself a good 1/4" to 5/16" for wider pieces a bit more as the knotty tight grain lends itself to some cupping.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

justallan1

Thanks guys. Maybe it will be a spring project instead of winter.

Allan

Thank You Sponsors!