iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log arch build finally complete Video added )

Started by 21incher, March 27, 2014, 03:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

36 coupe

This arch is getting too complicated.My arch looks like a Logrite with fewer parts.Build cost was 200 bucks on mine.I have a worm gear winch that is a bit slow but there are no pulleys.Would have liked a 2 speed winch but used what I had on hand.Will the tongs handle 3 small logs at the same time?

21incher

Quote from: 36 coupe on April 22, 2014, 06:14:08 AM
This arch is getting too complicated.My arch looks like a Logrite with fewer parts.Build cost was 200 bucks on mine.I have a worm gear winch that is a bit slow but there are no pulleys.Would have liked a 2 speed winch but used what I had on hand.Will the tongs handle 3 small logs at the same time?
I started to create a Logrite style arch but then decided to add some different ideas. So far I have $140.00 in it and have decided to go with a electric winch that will add another $120 to it. So the final cost will be under $300.00 plus the scrap material I had. This is just a fun project and as I will never build another I really don't how complicated it gets as long as it is simple to operate and gets the job done. With the CNC plasma table all the parts only take minutes to make so I am easily able to fab the parts no mater how complicated they look to you. And for the claw I will only be able to handle 1 log at a time because anything under 16 inches gets cut into firewood. Hopefully when it is done I will be able to backup over a log press a button and takeoff with no manual labor.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Herb Brooks

I'm curious about the sliding deal you built for the "front lifter".  How does it work and why is it there?  I may have missed the wheres and whys. This is going to be a slick rig whn you get done with out a doubt.  Exemplary work indeed.     8)

21incher

Quote from: Herb Brooks on April 22, 2014, 01:21:56 PM
I'm curious about the sliding deal you built for the "front lifter".  How does it work and why is it there?  I may have missed the wheres and whys. This is going to be a slick rig whn you get done with out a doubt.  Exemplary work indeed.     8)
Thanks. There are 2 arms with teeth that have to be fabricated yet that will swing under the front of the log that attach to the bottom of the shaft. The log will always be loaded front heavy (for hitch weight) and they will help suspend and hold the log level so it doesn't drag on the ground. The cable from the winch goes through the claw pulley then wraps around back to the front and hooks to the top of the front loader so the winch will raise both at the same time. I plan on adding a garage door spring to the cable going to the front to balance the load.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Herb Brooks

Now I get it. Watching with great interest.

21incher

Today I got a little time to work on the tongue. The arch will require a short tongue for maneuverability in the woods behind my compact tractor, and a long tongue for stability behind my F350 on the road. I made the short one from a couple of plasma cut plates, and the adjustable height / changeable tubing mount for the arch.

the short tongue

Uses a std 2" x 2 1/2 Mount. Will adjust vertically in 1" increments.

Welded the mount on the arch. Sandblasted and primed the tongue.
Went to Harbor freight to pickup a 3500 lb winch and they were sold out so I wound up getting a 2500 lb winch with a wireless remote control and load break to mock everything up with. Hopefully it will work as I only need about 800 lbs of pull to pick up a 1500 lb log but the cable size is marginal for the load. The winch was only $44.00 with a coupon so if it works upgrading the cable on it will make it safe and my arch cost will drop to under $250.00.

Magicman

smiley_thumbsup  It's difficult for me to keep my mouth shut and not ask questions, but I know that if I am patient, it will all make sense in the end.  I am dazzled  smiley_dizzy at what a difference it makes having the support equipment to cut those parts out and do such a professional job.  I am in awe.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

That cnc plasma cutter is some slick, wishing I had one too!
Did you use it to cut the height adjust holes in the square tubing?

21incher

Quote from: Magicman on April 23, 2014, 05:24:21 PM
smiley_thumbsup  It's difficult for me to keep my mouth shut and not ask questions, but I know that if I am patient, it will all make sense in the end.  I am dazzled  smiley_dizzy at what a difference it makes having the support equipment to cut those parts out and do such a professional job.  I am in awe.
Ask questions if you have any. And the most helpful tool I ever built was my CNC plasma cutter. Everything I built before it was square. The plasma cutter is also good if you weld something together wrong. You just put on the hand torch with a gouging nozzle and blow the weld away with very little damage to the parts. I wish I had more time to work on it so I didn't have to keep you guessing.
Quote from: Hilltop366 on April 23, 2014, 05:51:52 PM
That cnc plasma cutter is some slick, wishing I had one too!
Did you use it to cut the height adjust holes in the square tubing?
I did the holes on my Bridgeport because I wanted a precision fit. I drilled them undersize then reamed them so the parts would align without much shake. With plasma cutting there always is a very slight taper in the cut and some wander depending on direction of cut. I usually cut the holes .020 undersize and drill them out. Someday if I get time I will add a rotary axis that will allow me to cut tubing.

thecfarm

Gotta be able to use that stuff too.  ;) The know how part helps. I could have a whole shop full and I know it would not look like that! You do some mighty fine looking work.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Today got the winch and LOGRITE mounted.

The mount for the winch welded in place.

The winch in place. It came with a relay box and remote control that will work from 25 feet away that is worth more then I paid for the winch.

The front LOGRITE mount because you can't go in the woods without one.

The rear LOGRITE mount. Next a place to hang the stihl, some more chain anchors, and I decided to add a small battery for the winch so it is self contained.

thecfarm

You may want to make a latch to go over the front mount of the cantdog. Or make the grove deeper. I doubt it will fall out with a log in place. But empty the arch might jump a little. But who knows too. Lots of good ideas there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Quote from: thecfarm on April 24, 2014, 07:31:03 PM
You may want to make a latch to go over the front mount of the cantdog. Or make the grove deeper. I doubt it will fall out with a log in place. But empty the arch might jump a little. But who knows too. Lots of good ideas there.
The lower mount locks on the forged hook pretty good. You drop it in and then slide it back and the taper on the hook locks in the mount, Maybe I should add a bungee strap to be safe for highway use.

Magicman

Don't bother.  I will just follow along and pick up after you.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

21incher

Quote from: Magicman on April 24, 2014, 09:23:39 PM
Don't bother.  I will just follow along and pick up after you.   ;D
Sounds to me like it would take a lot of maple syrup to get it back  ;D ;D

Thanks drobertson. It has been fun building.

Today I made a battery box for the winch battery

Plasma cut a couple of sides and a piece of angle with some tabs welded on for the hold down.

Got the remote control box mounted and all wired. Got everything going up and down with no hand cranking.

Then I cut and bent the first piece of the front moveable chain anchor. Started cutting the tubing for the front lift. It is some kind of stainless steel that took the teeth right off my bandsaw blade so I will have to plasma cut it tomorrow.  Now the end is finally in sight. Another thing I found out today is when old tires have sidewall cracks and start to leak slowly, don't put a little extra air in them because the sidewall blows out five minutes later. Got to find some replacement tires for the arch now.

21incher

Finished off the front anchor today.

Got the gusset cut and welded in. Made the top plate.

It hangs off the arch ans is adjustable for short logs. There will be some uhmw plates to keep the paint from rubbing off and allow it to move along the rail.

started working on the front lift jaws. Boring the hole for the mounting tube.

Dad2FourWI

Wow !!!!!

Incredible job!

I could not even imagine this process.... just plain neat ideas and implementation!!!! :)

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

tcg

21incher

I'm impressed with the craftsmanship and absolutely in awe of the creativity you are demonstrating.
I find myself looking forward to what is new to the arch build on a daily basis. 

Thank-you
Tom

mad murdock

That arch is better than factory made!! I am surprised you didn't build your own complete mill with the tools/skills you have demonstrated thus far, if you can think it, I am pretty sure you can build it!! Just curious about the wear points on all the moving parts, and the tips of your claw arms-did you heat treat any of it? Or are you not too worried since if anything needs replaced you can just whip out a new replacement part lickety split?  Again, awesome job and thanks for sharing with us 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ga Mtn Man

I've been thinking the same thing.  I would love to see what your mind and skills could do on a full-hydraulic sawmill build. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

21incher

Thanks everyone. I have very little experience at sawing and joined this forum to learn more from the members. I can not contribute much to that area but I plan on sharing ideas in other areas that I can.

mad Murdock I bought my mill because I did not know of this forum at the time and most likely would have built one if I had seen the work of forum members. But at least I built a trailer for it. At this point in time nothing is hardened. If after getting it to work it looks like there are areas that need to be I will worry about it then. For now I will just spray some liquid graphite on the wear areas. This is a low use item that should not see much wear and tear. The part that complicates some areas is only using leftover materials for the build.

I am glad that some members are enjoying this thread as I was originally going to build it and then post a couple pictures of the finished arch when done so I didn't bore everyone.

drobertson

Keep on boring, no pun intended ;D   I like your chip guards on the mill too!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dad2FourWI

Believe me.... you are NOT boring us!!!!

... maybe a little (or a lot) jealous!!!!! :D

Keep em coming!!!

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

BobInMN

I've enjoyed every bit of this thread.  Great job!  Would you mind me asking how much it would cost a guy to have a CNC setup like yours?
Retired US Army, Retired Civil Engineering Technician, Retired State Employee, most of all just plain tired.

Thank You Sponsors!