iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flooring & Pricing

Started by Kirk_Allen, July 10, 2005, 09:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

Got a call today from a guy that has rough cut walnut and wants a price on making T&G Flooring. The wood will have to be cut to length, joined one side, ripped to width, planed and then T&G.

Any input on what would be a fair price for all that is appreciated. 

Brad_S.

Kirk,

I'm always sending people here from over 'there', so here's one time I'll refer someone back. :D
http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/swmf.pl?read=415305

Not a whole lot of info but I'm sure every little bit will help you come to a decision.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

woodmills1

It is hard to price jobs like this one.  You could price it at say 50 percent of the value of the finished product, which I would estimate at around 8 bucks per square foot for walnut flooring.  If I did it that way I would use the full size to calculate not the installed size.

A local lumber yard charges 100 dollars per hour to rip stock then pass it through their 4 sided planer moulder.  The machine is fast so thats why the high per hour figure.

The last job I did like this was done on an hourly charge of $50 per, which added around 5 dollars per bd ft to the product, though it isn't a real good comparison as there was a lot of time taken up producing a 16" wide shelf by glue up and a baseboard moulding as well as the T and G.  Both the shelf and baseboard I also sanded.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Fla._Deadheader

Kirk, just call a local milling shop. They do all that stuff, and tell them ya got so many feet of whatever and need a "Rough" price on them doing it.  ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Frank_Pender

Out here, Kirk, I get  the planing and t & g run for $.25 a running foot.  For the end trimming they charge by the hour at $50.
Frank Pender

flip

Speaking of which...How does one cut the flooring out of a log?  Do you saw 2 or 3 cants out, say 4X10 then cut 1" out 10 4" strips? (Assuming you are wanting 3" wide boards)  I also read at the other site to figure for 30% waste from start to finish.  My plan once I get my mill up and running is to start cutting  out flooring and trim blanks for a house remodel.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Kirk_Allen

HorseLogger came to the rescue.  He does this stuff a bunch and is set up with a 5 head shaper and can crank it out.  He is going to call the customer direct and see if he can be of service.  I quoted him $.25 per Lft for planing, ripping, joining, and then $.35 for T&G. 

WORKED OUT GREAT!  After telling the guy I thought Horselogger could do a much better job of it at a better price the guy fell out of his seat in shock that I would refer him to someone else instead of trying to get the job.

I am so busy and dont really have time for a job like that right now and besides, as a local in a small town the last thing I need is an unhappy customer. 

Well, he is happy.  He called back and asked if I ever need any Hedge trees (Osage).  I told him I am ALWAYS interested in Osage.  He said he would sell his to me for cottonwood prices since its junk wood..  He set the price at $.18-.20 cents bf based on what DNR has on there web page. 

I went and looked at them a few minutes ago.  WOW.  30-40" WHOPPERS!  We are going to meet saturday and determine what I am going to cut.

8) 8)

Buzz-sawyer

Kirk..that 18-20 cents is him cutting them, skidding and F.O.B ..........delivered to your mill.......STANDING timber is about 6-8 cents. ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Kirk_Allen

That is him cutting them down.  They are 50 yards off the road and he wants the branches for firewood. 

Trust me!  I am not going to buy standing timber as I dont have a Timber license.   ;D

Buzz-sawyer

I dont really need to warn you or worry about you regarding buisiness..............ou cover the bases :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!