iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of Binoculars are you guys using?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 31, 2016, 06:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I just bought a pair of the Bushnell Trophy XLT Binoculars.....10x42.

http://bushnell.com/hunting/binoculars/trophy-xlt

I actually use them more on fires and then I use them seasonal for hunting.
I like to hang them on a nail my the mill just in case I wanna get a closer look at something on the farm.
Just curious as to what y'all were using.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I use Zeiss 8X30 and Pat uses Zeiss 10X30.  They were both bought from Cabela's on "markdown" after Zeiss changed to a different model.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

okmulch

I use vortex 8x32's. Picked them up at cabelas last fall.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

thecfarm

I have no idea what kind. Just a real cheap pair,but they get used ALOT. They are on top of the pie safe. They get used by Brenda or me and than back on the pie safe they go. Now when one of the grandkids are here,it might take a minute to find them.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Alcranb

Two pairs of Nikon monarch 12x42 waterproof. One pair at the house for the bride to watch birds the other pair gets knocked around in the truck or my daybag during hunting season. No complaints thus far  ;)
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

WV Sawmiller

Cheap (>$20) 12X25 K-Mart special (Wal-Mart only had 10X25). Use them in the shooting house or when trekking in the woods/jungle with my wife. She is the photographer and I am the spotter.

I gave a pair to Osvaldo, my day guide in Quito, Ecuador, in 2008. He was a taxi driver took us from the airport to our hotel when we came back from 2 weeks in the jungle. Had an unexpected/unplanned day so called him and he took us to a local market, to the equator and to a raptor center. He admired my binos and said they'd cost him $100 or more down there so when done that day I took them off my belt and gave them to him. Easy for me to replace and a treat for him. He was a very good guide especially for a spur of the moment trip.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

H.O.D.

I have Nikon Monarch 12-56 and 8-30..good glass for the money. They replace a pair of Swarowski 8-30 I lost last year. For me really comes down to field of view and low light performence . Try several.

petefrom bearswamp

Steiner, 2 pairs, Bushnell 2 pairs and I still have a cheap Japanese pair that I paid $21 for in 1963 which stay at my camp.
Gave a pair of Nikon to my Newfoundland guide back in 1997.
His were held together with duct tape.
HOD you must have shed a tear or two when you lost the Swarovskis.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

H.O.D.

Thats true Pete. Austria and Germany produce the best optics I think and exspect a fair price in return but others are closing the quality gap for less.

landscraper

Pentax 16x50 - very clear, good magnification.  A couple pair of bushnells, and a couple of the little folding camo cheapies.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

bucknwfl

I just got a new pair of the vortex 10x42 for work and they are crystal clear. I like them more than the nikon I have had for ten years in the same configuration. I give the vortex the edge up for that price range
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

grweldon

I use an inexpensive Bushnell Legacy 10x50 purchased about 15 years ago for $55.  I just checked and they for for $85 now.  Waterproof and cheap enough that you don't mind taking them everywhere...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

tule peak timber

I have several sets of Fujinon 7X50 glasses , green tint coating. I used them to hunt swordfish and found that they were the best to peer through all day long. Highly recommended. Just checked the price and they are a fraction of what I paid 30 years ago . Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Magicman

Much depends upon the usage.  If it's for an occasional scan or to verify an object, then a lesser quality Binocular is satisfactory.  If you plan to spend an hour or so scanning a mountainside, etc, you had best have a very high quality Binocular or eyestrain will give you the worst headache of your lifetime.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodhauler

Leopuld for me!! Rifle scopes[ 7 of them] and binocs too.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Hilltop366

My wife gave me a fancy pair of compact Pentax binoculars 20 years ago then about 10 years ago my niece gave me a $20 pair of tasco binoculars, to be totally honest it is hard to tell the $100 difference when looking through them.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on February 04, 2016, 12:37:45 PM
If you plan to spend an hour or so scanning a mountainside.....

Looking for Goats?  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

TimRB

I have a pair of these:

http://nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/binoculars/elegant/mikron_x15/index.htm

I saw someone use them in a movie once and said "I gotta get me some of those."  Then I found out how much they cost, and decided that maybe I could live without them.  Then, much to my surprise, Santa put them under the tree!  I just love that guy.

Anyway, I also have some Nikon Mountaineers, which are my real go-to binoculars.  Small, waterproof, excellent optics--after nearly 30 years, still fantastic.   That said, I also have a pair of no-name Sears 7X35s that I got for Christmas a hundred years or so ago, and they are still very fine. 

Good binoculars are such a joy, and bad ones are such an annoyance.

Tim

tule peak timber

Much depends upon the usage.  If it's for an occasional scan or to verify an object, then a lesser quality Binocular is satisfactory.  If you plan to spend an hour or so scanning a mountainside, etc, you had best have a very high quality Binocular or eyestrain will give you the worst headache of your lifetime.
[/quot    Looking for something inches tall, a mile away, in a choppy ocean , from a rolling boat certainly does cause eye strain!Our trips would last for a week and it felt like your eyes were going to pop out at the end of each day. Good quality glass was a must !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

mart

Outstanding advice.

I was in the market several years ago for a good quality binocular and after much research found the Pentax DCF 8x43's to be rated exceptionally well, on a par with glass costing twice as much. It's been several years but I seem to recall the DCF's were running around $700 retail back then.

I have not been disappointed. My old Bauch and Lombs used to give me headaches after searching hillsides for game. Not the case with the DCF's. I've spent hours behind them with never a headache or eyestrain. If a guy is just using a binocular for a few minutes at a time, a cheap one may suffice. Spending a day glassing mountain sides for bear, sheep or goats, watching the tundra for hours for caribou or moose, or searching the grasslands for mule deer and antelope demands a good glass and the cheap ones will wear you out. I use my DCF's as much still hunting heavy cover as I do open country. The good quality glass is great at penetrating the layers of foliage and timber that the human eye is unable to resolve. It's amazing what one can see in that cover when you slow down and glass.

I get asked frequently what to bring to Alaska for a rifle and scope and my response is to use whatever rifle/scope your most comfortable with and spend money on a high quality binocular. I'd much rather see a guy hunt here with a $600 rifle/scope combination and a $1000 binocular than to see one show up with a $1500 rifle/scope and a $100 binocular.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

schmalts

Absolutely the nicest binoculars under $500 are the Theron Questa. Huge field of view,  clear to the edges more than anything else in its price range.

Chuck White

My "go to" binoculars at home are Bushnell 10x50's and in the truck, Bushnell compact 8x21's.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Yoder409

Been using a pair of Nikon Pro 7 10x for a few years now.    Like them just fine........   $175-$200
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

CX3

Nikon Monarch 7

Lifetime warranty, under 300 bucks on sale, clear as a bell. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

tmarch

I use Bruntons most, but I also bowhunt so I bought a pair of Leica Geovids, very good glass and the built in rangefinder is handy.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Thank You Sponsors!