iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Framing Workshop with Jack Sobon and Dave Carlon

Started by Jim_Rogers, August 27, 2010, 09:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Every year these men hold a timber framing workshop at the Hancock Shaker Village in Hancock, MA where students learn, hands on, how to layout and cut joints (with no power tools) to construct a timber framed building.

This years event has openings, and it is not too late to sign up.

This class is 5 days long and runs from Wednesday morning to Sunday afternoon, in September; from the 22nd to the 26th, 2010.

It is one of my most favorite classes, and of all the ones I have been to and the schools that I go to; this is by far the best and the lease expensive.

This year the class registration is being handled by Dave Carlon. If you are interested in going you can check for contact info on the Shaker village site or send me a private message or private email and I'll forward you the contact information.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Raphael

I actually have that Saturday and Sunday off!
Debbie would kill me.  :D
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Dave Shepard

You also get to tour the buildings at the Village, especially the parts not open to the public, like the attics. There are several very interesting buildings there like the machine shop/laundry, the brick dwelling, and the famous Round Stone Barn.

I took this workshop in 2006. I had read several books on timber framing, but seeing it demonstrated really brought it all to life. I've been tempted to do it again, just because it's so fun.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Raphael on August 29, 2010, 02:52:16 AM
I actually have that Saturday and Sunday off!
Debbie would kill me.  :D

You could drive up on Sunday and visit the village. Around 3 pm or so they raise the frame of what they have done so far.

laffs

whats the cost? and where is hancock? will a ford make it there and back?
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Dave Shepard

The cost should still be $475 for non-members of the Village, with a discount if you are a member. That may have changed, but I don't think so. Hancock is on the Mass/New York line, on Route 20.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

John S

I took the class last year and can highly recommend it to all.  The knowledge and experience of Dave and Jack made it a very rewarding five days.  If I could squeeze it in this year I would take it again.  I also purchased some tools from Jim Rogers, who was also very helpful.
John Snyder
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Jim_Rogers

laffs

i  have the time now that im unemployed but my old truck is on its last legs. dont think id trust it that far
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Piston

It figures, I have to go back to work that Wed.    :-[

I hope one of these days that one of these classes will work out for me.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Jim_Rogers

I have just received some information about this workshop.
And I have created a couple of pdf files of the documents for all to download and read.

Although the registration document says the deadline for signing up is 8/31/2010 there are still a few openings available.

Jim Rogers

PS. I will be bringing all the tools we have for sale to this workshop on Friday the 24th. I hope to arrive around noon or earlier.

Thank You Sponsors!