iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

26" single bit axe recomendations

Started by DMcCoy, February 07, 2018, 09:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMcCoy

Looking to replace an axe for my wife.
"I like the one that we found that fell off 'x' truck 25 yrs ago and was lost 20 yrs ago"
Go ahead and google that one.
So I need to find a single bit, 2-2 1/2 lbs, 26" wood handle axe.

I have found Stihl - $100.00

Anyone else have a suggestion?
Thanks!

Edit: Only in Portland,OR can you look up 'axe' on craigslist and get an ad for weed.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chop Shop

Find an old head, hand pick a nice handle and mount it up.    Pride, quality and satisfaction.   All for WAY less than $100.

OLD axes still run good even with well over 500,000 miles on them.

Stephen

I like my Granfors Bruk forest axe (it was a gift so make it nicer). I would look at the Husqvarna if buying another.
1994 WoodMizer LT40G18. 69 acres mixed wood. 1952 ford tractor, Norse 290 winch, studed Norse ice chains. 45-66DT Fiat.

reride82

I love my Council Tool Velvicut Camp axe, so I would assume the bigger axes are just as awesome!

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Autocar

I broke my axe using it as a hammer trying to flaten a peace of sheet iron. I welded it back togather but broke on the next logging job so I asked the farmer if he had any old axes. I bought one head from him for two dollars and another one with the handle in in it for three dollars. I made a handle out of Kentucky coffee bean and I always paint them with orange/red and white strips that way I can locate them a lot quicker.
Bill

Puffergas

Council Tool   8)

Bottom axe would never work for an "axe jokey" but it is fun. Really just a traders axe but I still like it. Above it is their FSS axe. I don't think it is on their web page. I got it from the black market, kind of. But it is basically a boy's axe.

If it is not a Valvicut version, you will need to shape and sharpen.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

starmac

Can you expand on that valvicut version.
The reason I ask, is I keep hearing the hype here, but looked at some council axes in person, and would have not have been happy if I ordered one and wound up with what I looked at.
Do they make or sell two different grades of axes??
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

maple flats

Two things, 1 is that while Council axes are not shinny, they hold up and perform top notch.
2- you want an axe for your wife, some might think that's a poor trade, others might not.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Puffergas

The valvicut is the sharpened version that costs a lot more. I would think that they would pick out the better handles.

I like the standard model and work the handle and bit myself. after all, any axe that gets used will need maintenance. Plus, any axe is only as good as the person holding it. They are much better than hardware store axes. I'm sure a Sweden axe has the edge but I would rather buy a good value home town, so to speak, axe. For me, the axe feels better in my hands after I did the finish work into it. They are a working axe, not the best choice to hang up on the wall.

Just my opinion.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

ScottAR

The Ace hardware here handles Council tool.  They look like quality. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

DMcCoy

Thanks everyone.  I have a reason to be near an Ace Hardware and I think the council tool axe will work (the $40 one not the $153).  She wants to give it a swing before buying.  :o

Maple Flats - Any girl who wants an axe is not available for trade in my book. Thanks  ;)

mad murdock

Council tool Co boy's axe is the perfect axe for what you describe, head size and handle length should be right in the ballpark of your specs.  They make great tools!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

JB Griffin

Quote from: Puffergas on February 09, 2018, 07:47:02 PM
The valvicut is the sharpened version that costs a lot more.

The velvicut line is so much more than that. To start the use a higher grade of steel(5160 spring steel) for the head, then they are hand finished instead of the "as forged finish" and paint the standard line gets.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

jquinn333

Quote from: reride82 on February 08, 2018, 11:45:27 AM
I love my Council Tool Velvicut Camp axe, so I would assume the bigger axes are just as awesome!

Levi
Just got my Velvicut #2 first impressions are wow, really engineered well. Looks sharp/styling with the  leather sheath. The 5160 steel closed the deal for me. IT is very sharp out of box. Handle feels great, super well balanced. Hopefully will never need another hatchet again. It split red oak no problem, yes it is a chopping axe though. I am sure I will love this axe more and more after using it. Put coconut oil and beeswax blend on the leather sheath. Boiled linseed oil on hickory handle. Did I mention it has perfect grain? The sheath fit perfectly right away just snug it up to head. Made in North Carolina, USA

cuznguido

Quote from: starmac on February 08, 2018, 07:24:22 PM
Can you expand on that valvicut version.
The reason I ask, is I keep hearing the hype here, but looked at some council axes in person, and would have not have been happy if I ordered one and wound up with what I looked at.
Do they make or sell two different grades of axes??
The Velvicut is their premium line.  It is just finished a lot nicer than the regregular stuff.  Do not let the appearance of Council Tool stuff deter you.  Their stuff is VERY good.

Thank You Sponsors!