iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Baked Tater

Started by DanG, January 28, 2020, 02:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Now I might be the last one to discover this little trick, but there might be some poor slob who hasn't tried it.  :D  Anyway, I was baking a dead chicken for supper the other night and put a couple of Russets in the oven with it.  Now baked taters tend to be a little mealy sometimes. So to keep them from drying out, I wrapped each one in a sopping wet paper towel, then wrapped them tightly in foil. They came out creamy smooth and evenly done, best baked tater I've had in a while!  I ain't above cooking a tater in the microwave when I'm not using the oven for anything else. Next time I'm gonna do the paper towel thing and wrap them in plastic wrap to see how that works. ;)

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

I like the skin crispy, I fill them with chopped chives, bacon bits, chili peppers and sour cream or philadelphia cheese. Somehow plastic wrap seems counterproductive ;D 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

If you use a greasy shop towel, you can forego any butter when eating. Healthy!!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

My wife nukes them all the time, although it is usually a sweet potato, in plastic wrap and they cook very well that way. I am sure all the carcinogens stay in the skin when I remove it. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

I run them under the faucet then toss with kosher salt and bake or microwave. Salt keeps them moist.
Have always liked the skin.
We never peel them for anything. Mashed or boiled always skin on.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Al_Smith

Wrapped in foil,in the oven at 400 ,an hour and 5 minutes .Georgia butters the outside I don't .Use a high starch potato like a Russet .

kantuckid

Do like Red Lobster and rub in butter (Crisco works too) no foil or plastic!!! and no microwaves!!! as it changes the whole tater to something else.
In recent years we have often used our toaster oven and potatoes cut in squares with olive oil and S&P in a baking dish-both easy and tasty! Also VG using yellow taters.
Since I have 3 stents I do mine in fake spray butter.
Another easy tater dish is a pizza pan/cookie sheet with homemade wedges rolled in olive oil and S&P mixture and baked in large oven.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Chuck White

I'd rather eat a crispy tater skin with a little salt, pepper & butter than I would the tater itself!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Al_Smith

That deal in a baking dish can have many variations and often referred to as oven roasted .I use peanut oil, Panko with lemon pepper,Old Bay and Mrs Dash .Done on a cast iron griddle at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes .Red potatoes make better oven roasted than high starch IMO .

Thank You Sponsors!