iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another yates 108

Started by Farley3415, July 29, 2021, 11:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farley3415

So I've looked at every post i could to get some more info but maybe someone can help me.

To start off we have a small sawmill and have been having our lumber t&g at a local shop. 
My father found a local guy with a powermatic 225-b planer and bought it along with a few odds and ends, the guy he bought it from also has a yates 108 set up in his shed with a detroit diesel engine dust extraction whole nine yards.
He bought it and a installed it in the 1950s and run it up till 10 years or so ago he's asking $5000 for it and everything with it.
My main question is if its a decent deal or not? 

customsawyer

I don't know much about Yates planer but I know it don't take very long to have 5 grand just in knives and heads for a planer. You might ask to see it running before buying it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

moodnacreek

In my experience old cast iron machines don't sell especially if they are anything bigger than single phase. Most Americans don't make things anymore and don't even own a table saw.  The man who owns that planer is at a big disadvantage . It would only take one person to prove me wrong. The trick is to buy it cheap without kicking a dog that is already down.

Thank You Sponsors!