iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm going to try something new this Saturday.

Started by DR Buck, May 08, 2012, 10:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I've been hoarding lumber almost since I got my sawmill in 2003.  I have two insulated sea containers packed almost full and a full kiln that will be ready to unload this Friday with no place to put it.  Almost all of my lumber came from trees given to me for the taking.  I've sold a fair amount over the years but because I'm pretty far out and only do this part-time my sales are sporadic.   The best I ever did was the year I rented spaces at the annual woodworking show (www.thewoodworkingshows.com).  However, the cost for the show spaces is very high.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500 for two 10'x10' spaces. :o

So that brings me to my new plan. ;D  I started laying the ground work back in March at the woodworking show.  I'm planning a 1 day only open house lumber sale.  I printed up fliers and passed them out all weekend at the woodworking show back in March.  The flier I've been passing around is attached to this post.  I've also been running adds on Craig's List for the past month and blanket emailed ( spam_ ) all of the Northern VA & DC woodworking clubs and their members. 

It looks like the weather will be cooperating so if this works out and I move a lot of lumber and gain a lot of cash this could become an annual event.  8)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

T Welsh

Buck, Let us know how it turns out for you! I think we all have a little hoarding in all of us when it comes to lumber we cut on the mill. Tim

thecfarm

Good luck to you. This may turn into quite the annaul event. May be an OK turn out this year,but if they all like what you have,look out next year. Going to have some help for all of the customers?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

I am very interested in how this works out.  I sell a good bit of lumber on Craigslist, but I have never held an advertised sale.  Hopefully you will move a lot of wood.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Some of your local building contractors may also be interested.  They are occasionally asked to add specialties such as mantels, computer nooks, home entrances, and home office areas and need lumber that is not normally stocked at lumber yards.

Good luck and keep us posted about your event.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!