iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Colonoscopy

Started by Magicman, July 24, 2012, 02:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Good for you and thanks for reporting back.  My initial consultation appointment has been moved from the 23rd until October 12th.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Good to hear. My insurance folks sent me the at home test and it came back negative so I guess I dodged the roto-rooter bullet for a while.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Sedgehammer

Had mine first one done 2.5 yrs ago.
Ya guys are a bunch of whimps..... Easy peazy.  
Clean as whistle.
Was told those whom are constipated on a more regular basis have a higher incidence. Luckily I've rarely met her.
Necessity is the engine of drive

Jeff

I have to have a covid test on october 8th as prep for colonoscopy on the 12th.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sedgehammer

Well it's good you can't catch the covid after the test on the 9th, 10th or 11th. I guess covid takes a break on this days.... :o

Get ready for a head rush....
Necessity is the engine of drive

thecfarm

4 liters!!!!!   ::)  That's worse then the going.  :(  
Last time I had one I think I drank a small bottle, maybe and I say maybe, 8 ounces. But it worked. And I do mean it worked!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

RichTired

When I had my gallbladder removed, I was given an 8/10 oz bottle of something to drink the day before to clean me out. It seemed to work well! But not sure how clean the colon is after that. My doctor wanted my colon squeaky clean to check for polyps. I guess it looks better on the big screen TV in the procedure room.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

kantuckid

I did the routine poop test for occult blood @ July wellness visit. For the 1st time ever it came back positive and trying for proactive I went to my "G" man doc for a colon scope & endoscope as I have an acid reflux diagnosis ongoing too. The nurse told me that test is extremely sensitive. I'd actually aged out on further scopes but this one (and my covid screen to get in the hospital) were negative, including the biopsy material. I've never had a polyp before this recent test nor did I have one this time. Occult blood positives a mystery I guess? 
I paid the bill for anesthesia today @ $6.63 my share of Medicare with KY teacher retirement supplemental plan we get free. 
When my Gall bladder went septic in 2016 the ED doc said it needs to come out pronto! They shave my belly, iodined me and was on a gurney for surgery. That doc who was to cut comes in and asks me & my wife, both of us very non-medical folks, mind you, if we thought it would be better to wait until the next day. I asked the doc if he had a hot date since it was Friday nite. He laughed and walked out. Wife and I asked the nurses who said that it was on for Sat a.m. and that the doc gave an Rx for antibiotic to keep down infection. About mid-day Sat morning they sucked it out. I honestly think the doc just didn't want to to do the surgery that friday for some personal reason? I definitely didn't factor in with what the emergency doc had told me so far as that i needed a fast fix. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Tom the Sawyer

It's hard to believe that I had not run across this topic before, it hits home for me.  I put off getting my colonoscopy when I should have, primarily because I had had two fecal occult tests which had returned negative (part of my department's periodic health screening back then). At age 55 I had some irregularity and a couple of bouts of severe cramping.  Visited my doctor and, after an x-ray, he said I should check into the hospital.  I asked how soon, he said to drive over there right now.  He said it could be IBS, diverticulitis, or cancer... but that he was leaning towards cancer.

Called my wife on the way to the hospital, got checked in and had my first colonoscopy that evening.  Of course, having no prep and being backed up, they didn't get very far but did find a large tumor.  Surgery scheduled for the next afternoon.  Considering that I had always been healthy and had never been hospitalized other than a sleep test, it was quite a shock - especially for my wife and daughter.  My surgeon removed a large tumor, a couple of lymph nodes and about 20 inches of my descending colon.  While they were in there he also removed my gallbladder (must have been a sale or something).  I woke up with a couple of tubes, nasal and catheter, and an "appliance" on my belly.  Nothing by mouth (no food, drink, or even water) for 10 days.  A month later they installed a port in my chest and I had chemo for 6 months plus 28 days of radiation.  A strict schedule of colonoscopies since then, every 6 months for 2 years, yearly for 3 years, I am now on three year surveillance, I think I have had 8 or 9, they have never found a polyp or anything else.

Started having problems about a year after surgery and after barium tests, they thought my intestines might have adhered improperly after surgery so a laparoscopic surgery was scheduled for an overnight stay.  Woke up with several tubes again, 5 days this time with no food or water.  Apparently, during my radiation treatments, a section of my small intestine filled the void and was killed by the radiation, which meant another bowel re-section.  The surgeon said it was like splicing a 2" hose to a 1" hose with stitches.  He also repaired a ventral hernia from the first surgery but I told him he made a mistake.  I had asked him to use that mesh that was pre-formed into a six-pack but he got the wrong one and must have used one for a keg.  Unfortunately, after some extensive exams and testing, they felt that reattachment surgery was unlikely to be successful due to atrophy of the remaining tissue so the bag will be permanent.  Inconvenient as it can be (especially at colonoscopy prep time), the fact is that I am still here, it'll be 14 years next month.

Although you might perceive it as potentially embarrassing, make sure you get it done.  Yes, it changed my life, but I still have my life. My retirement, my sawmilling 'career', more years with my family, a grandson, and all the great people I have met since then (including those on FF) are experiences I have had because they caught it in time.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Walnut Beast

Good advice. Glad your doing well 👍

JJ

Thanks Tom,
Your story encourages me.
I just got an update about my dad, he is responding well to the chemo treatment.  The tumor is diminished in size and the cancerous spots on his liver and lungs have also gotten smaller so they are going to continue the chemo instead of surgery like they had planned.  If he goes to surgery now it would interrupt the chemo treatment for at least 2 months.

It has been a long time since I have seen him, but he sounds good on the phone and he is walking a mile every day.

JJ

Dan_Shade

I'm not sure if I've posted this before, but when you're "cleaning out", get some Desitin, or other diaper rash barrier, it will go along ways towards reducing the "fire" sensation. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DbltreeBelgians

Tom, thank you for posting your story. I'll never forget the PM you sent me years ago. You encouraged me during a very trying time and I'm forever grateful for it. As you know I had an ileostomy for several years and since had a reversal and a "J" pouch after a full colectomy. It's not without its challenges and no day is the same so to speak but I'm still kickin it and loving life everyday.
Please everyone don't put this off. The prep ain't nothing compared to the alternative. I know that all to well.

Brent 

Stephen1

Thanks for telling your stories Tom And Dbltree. 
Like you say The prep is nothing compared to the alternative.
I was told by the Dr.,  Colon cancer is one of the only cancer that is  100% curable, if they get the polyp removed .
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

kantuckid

Sadly, many people don't get scoped based on unwillingness to do the cleanout procedure. 
I'd *DanG sure rather be alive than avoiding logical, proactive medical procedures.
The latest version of that same mentality is the news and polls which have millions saying they avoid a vaccine, or more precisely, covid-19 vaccine if it happens. Same for seasonal flu-millions avoid a know vaccine. 
Yes, I am pointing fingers if the shoe fits, wear it for now... ::)
My friend down the road buys a 6 pound hunk of "KY Border" brand bologna each week.
 Wish his gizzard luck?  ;)
 FWIW, he's in that group of don't get scoped, etc. etc., cause it's too much trouble. meanwhile he and his wife go to docs constantly then do nothing at home as a follow-up.
 Go figure on that... 

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Jeff

Tomorrow I go in for the mandatory covid test, then quarantine until monday when I get the tubular peek a boo.

gspren

So many of us on here getting scoped that I feel like I'm hanging out with a bunch of old guys.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Jeff

Not happy about having to now postpone my teeth cleaning friday that now has been almost a year because of 6 months of covid delays.  At least they wont have a chance to cornfuse that with the other two procedures now.

doc henderson

if they decide to do them all at once, make sure they wash there hands!   :o :o :o  :)  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

RichTired

My only request was for them to do the endoscopy first; before the colonoscopy... :D
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Texas Ranger

My guy made sure to tell me they used different instruments, not that I remember, thank God for anesthetics.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Had the covid tickle my eyeball from the backside test yesterday. Not enjoyabe. Now I'm supposed to hunker down until Monday. 

Jeff

Man, they got some good drugs now. The prep stuff tasted nasty, but I chuggalugged it and it was done. Has 2 pills 3 times. If somebody added the flavor to that prep they didn't do anybody any favor! Worst part of the prep is not eating for dang near 2 days!  

They stuck an iv in me and wheeled me into the O.R., the Dr greeted me and I wake up back in the room I started in. Like a mini nap. And Sober! Well, almost sober. :D 

Anyhow, he saw nothing of any concern.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tacotodd

That's funny. Twisted, but funny! 🤡
Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!