iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar for a ms461?

Started by Maine logger88, October 16, 2017, 08:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine logger88

It has come time to replace the saw that the guy that works for me runs and he really wanted to try a 461 so I bought one the only trouble is I have about 15 bars for my husky and jonsered saws that all use the .058 chain and it's a pain to buy 0.50 chain for one saw as I buy all my chain on bulk. My question is can I get a bar that fits the stihl in .058? The .058 is also much more common in this area which I know is odd but that's how it is
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

sweetjetskier

Most Stihl mount bars in 3/8 are going to be .050 or .063, however there are some bar adapters out there that may work for your needs, someone may have more info on adapters. 461 is a great saw, good luck.
Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

HolmenTree

Stihl did make .058 sawchain for the competition but I can't remember ever seeing a Stihl bar whether made in VB USA or Germany in .058.

Here's  a pic of my Stihl bar adapters for a Stihl 3003 mount to Husqvarna bar mount. Have a bunch of these for almost 30 years. Part # is rubbed off the bag.
How about the 28 year old Stihl Gas and Oil Mix tag to put on the handle of your gas can.
No confusion for straight gassing with these.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Maine logger88

That's pretty cool holmen! Those adaptor clips are for mounting stihl bar on a Husky right? So I assume that you can't go the other way and put a Husky bar on a stihl? That gas tag is cool too!

HolmenTree

Yup for a Husqvarna bar stud. But a Husky bar won't fit a Stihl.
They made good stuff back in the day :)

HolmenTree

Even if you turned the Stihl bar studs down to fit the Husky bar slot, the offset Stihl tensioner worm gear screw will not clear the narrow Husky slot.

Maine logger88

Ok thanks for the info! Looks like I'll either have to find someone who makes a bar for the stihl Mount in .058 or just buy both in bulk which is probably what I'll end up doing...

HolmenTree

Quote from: Maine logger88 on October 16, 2017, 11:29:39 PM
Ok thanks for the info! Looks like I'll either have to find someone who makes a bar for the stihl Mount in .058 or just buy both in bulk which is probably what I'll end up doing...
All you have to do is lay a Stihl 3003 mount bar on top of your Husqvarna  .058 bar.
Use a fine point permanent marker and mark the Stihl slot on to the bottom Husqvarna bar.
Stick the Husqvarna bar in a bench vise then with a 4.5 inch side grinder grind out the slot to the marks.

If needed you may have to drill a new adjuster pin hole which is easy enough as the bar is not hardened near the slot.
I'm talking about a good quality solid body bar not consumer laminated. But laminated will still drill ok.

Maine logger88

Ok thanks i will try that on a couple bars! It's probably silly to be that worried about it but I just like all my stuff the same for simplicity of it. That was why I would never buy a husky or jonsered with the small mount because I never wanted to stock more than one type bar. Which that is out either way with the stihl but at least if I modify a couple bars I can run the same chain. If I didn't have so many bars already I would just switch my huskys over to .050

teakwood

Maybe in some months we will hear from you that you changed all bars and chains to .050 or .063 because you liked the 461 so much that your changing all your saws to stihl :D :D
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Maine logger88

Quote from: teakwood on October 17, 2017, 10:03:59 PM
Maybe in some months we will hear from you that you changed all bars and chains to .050 or .063 because you liked the 461 so much that your changing all your saws to stihl :D :D
lol lol lol possible but unlikely I have a real love for the 2166/2172 saws I have! But that 461 does seem to be a nice saw!

ehp

461 is a good saw , I got lots of them LOL , I am waiting to try the new 462 thou , oh ya I seem to have a lot of 365/372 to and like them as well but in the cold of winter the 461 arctic wins hands down , them hot handlebars are sure nice to run

Thank You Sponsors!