iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New guy looking for your wisdom

Started by Nvfd3052, August 29, 2012, 09:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nvfd3052

This is my first post, but I have been reading and learning as much as I can from here for a while. So much good information and I have been trying to take it all in. I have been looking into buying a woodmizer for a while now, but I want to get all my ducks in a row before I pull the trigger. I have a good full time job, so I am not lookin to get rich with a mill, I just want to make enough money do the mill can pay for itself while I have fun sawing. I was thinking about making storage sheds, chicken coops and picnic tables, all of which I have experience building, just not selling them. I was also wanting to saw some grade lumber also, but I don't know of any buyers here in central Indiana. I guess I am just looking to saw something for a stable market ( which I know nothing is a "stable market" but maby something more stable than hoping somebody stops and buys a shed). I have tryed to look up people that buy pallet cants and grade lumber on the Internet, but I am not good with computers (took me 2 hours to type this...) Dose any of this sound reasonable? I am asking because I do not know, so give it to me good or bad so I can learn from it. Also me and my family has a dairy farm so I have trailers and loaders and things like that so that stuff is not an issue. Thanks in advance
Woodmizer LT35HDD18 diesel
Stihl ms290
Deere 260 skid loader
01 Chevy 2500hd duramax
And a wife that loves me!

WDH

Being able to supply lumber locally can work.  Don't try to compete with the Box Stores on framing type lumber.  Quality hardwood for local woodworkers is good.  Also, thicker cuts of hardwood like 6/4 (1.5" thick) and 8/4 (2" thick) and even thicker are not easy to get around here, not sure about your location.  If you cater to the little guy who needs a few boards for a project, you can pay for your mill and have some lumber for your own projects.  The commodity side with cants and pallet stock will eat your lunch.  That is a dog-eat-dog world.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom the Sawyer

Welcome to the forum Nvfd3052 (doesn't exactly trip off the tongue),

Although I don't personally build projects for sale like you described, there is a guy in the area who does.  He builds one of each type and having them available to see will help potential customers visualize their project, and see the quality of your work.  Even if you build a short shed like you see at the box stores it would help customers be more confident about investing in your products.

As far as selling lumber, I would consider a kiln if you are going to target local woodworkers.  It would be a good idea to see if you can find any woodworkers guilds in your area and visit.  Strike up a conversation about whether they prefer kiln dried lumber or air dried.  If there aren't any guilds or clubs in the area you may find it difficult to market very much lumber.

If sales of your products are slow, or you have a limited market for the lumber and still want a mill it can be done - just call it a hobby.  ;) :)
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Sawdust Lover

I have been building fine furniture for 20 years. Last year I bought my own mill to saw my own lumber and started sawing my own lumber. Now I dont have time for my woodworking shop because I have so many orders for my sawmill. Let your local woodworkers know that you will be selling lumber and cutting thicker lumber is always good because it is always hard to find at the box stores. I can take 1 cherry or walnut log and cut it into 2" slabs with live edges and and get 10 times what I paid for the log. If all else fails try selling survey and grade stakes. If you dont have alot of competition in your area you shouldn't have any problem making your payments. Just make sure you have a way to get the logs to your mill.

landscraper

I bought an older well used mill with the thought that if I could mill enough lumber for my own use to pay for it I would be made whole on my purchase money.  I did, built some sheds, coops, barns etc. and then kept going.  I saw a little custom now and then but mostly cut framing and forming material for my construction company.  So I guess my advice would be to limit your initial investment until you see if there are niche markets that develop for you, by then you will have a handle on your operating costs.  The one thing I know about competing for market share is you have to be cheaper, faster and or better than your competitor, which is hard if you are a small operator, so instead try supplying a completely different product.  Rough framing lumber and live edge slabs are the only things the few people who do find me ask about.
Quote from: Nvfd3052 on August 29, 2012, 09:47:02 PM
This is my first post, but I have been reading and learning as much as I can from here for a while. So much good information and I have been trying to take it all in. I have been looking into buying a woodmizer for a while now, but I want to get all my ducks in a row before I pull the trigger. I have a good full time job, so I am not lookin to get rich with a mill, I just want to make enough money do the mill can pay for itself while I have fun sawing. I was thinking about making storage sheds, chicken coops and picnic tables, all of which I have experience building, just not selling them. I was also wanting to saw some grade lumber also, but I don't know of any buyers here in central Indiana. I guess I am just looking to saw something for a stable market ( which I know nothing is a "stable market" but maby something more stable than hoping somebody stops and buys a shed). I have tryed to look up people that buy pallet cants and grade lumber on the Internet, but I am not good with computers (took me 2 hours to type this...) Dose any of this sound reasonable? I am asking because I do not know, so give it to me good or bad so I can learn from it. Also me and my family has a dairy farm so I have trailers and loaders and things like that so that stuff is not an issue. Thanks in advance
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

WDH

The sawmill is only part of it.  You need a source for logs, and at least a tractor with front end loader so the you can put log forks on it to handle logs and lumber.  Then, you need shed space to stack and dry lumber.  That can cost much more than the sawmill, so sharpen your pencil.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. What you are talking about can be done. There is a bunch of us on here that are doing something similar. Be patient and develop your markets as you grow. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

Nvfd3052,welcome to the forum. Have you seen this recent thread?
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56970.0/topicseen.html
Lots of good stuff on this one too. One good thing,you have a farm,so you are use to working. That's half the battle. Good luck to you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Whats your name mate that NVFD stuff is hard to remember.Farmers always need lumber throw some in your truck for visual aids and visit them.Horse fence and trailer decks are my bread and butter.Picknic tables and small sheds, as you mentioned, are good value added items. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

Nvfd3052, Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

A lot of us her do custom sawing.  Myself, I will take my mill from customer to customer, sawing their lumber!  Interesting and we meet a lot of real nice people.

Your name looks like you belong to a Volunteer Fire Dept. in a town that starts with "N" and your number is 3052.

Anywhere close on that guess?   ;D

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nvfd3052

Thanks everybody for all your advice, I think I am going to just start small and pursue it as a hobby and see where it goes from there. I can't wait to send sawdust flying!

Chris you are correct, been a volenteer firefighter all my live. That was my old numbers from my first fire dept. Needham 3052. I moved so I had to move fire depts too. Went from a big town with 150 people to an even bigger town with 200 people ;)
Woodmizer LT35HDD18 diesel
Stihl ms290
Deere 260 skid loader
01 Chevy 2500hd duramax
And a wife that loves me!

Chuck White

Quote from: Nvfd3052 on August 30, 2012, 07:59:07 PM
Thanks everybody for all your advice, I think I am going to just start small and pursue it as a hobby and see where it goes from there. I can't wait to send sawdust flying!

Chris you are correct, been a volenteer firefighter all my live. That was my old numbers from my first fire dept. Needham 3052. I moved so I had to move fire depts too. Went from a big town with 150 people to an even bigger town with 200 people ;)

?  ;D

Thought I was right!  Welcome! 
Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum,    Nvfd3052.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Migal

:) Welcome Nvfd3052 I swear it's the dust can"t be the cant's or grain  8) I still swear its the dust that get's the vein's flowing Could be the smell But I swear it's the dust So when the dust clear's Look at the fine grain and tell me it didn't start out with the smell of the dust  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Solomon

I live in a metropoitan area and work 60 hours a week in the port.  My mill seems to want to start the buisness all by it self.  We have a wood workers guild here in my area and it pains me to have to refer people to a friend with an LT 40 .  We have a lot of cabinet and furniture makers here in Hampton Roads.  I have a couple sets of T&G  V Groove shaper cutters and have found red ceder closets to be guite lucrative.   I know a lot of tree service guys who normaly pay to get rid of everything they cut down and there seems to be a lot of ceder around here.   I generally don't have to pay for logs except for a really nice cherry or walnut log. 
I do have problems with steel and I actually hit concrete and ceramic insulators  that the trees have grown around.  As you've  already figured, I cut a lot of logs from residential  clearings.
   I wish I had more time for it.  It's what I'd really rather be doing. 
  When theese guys say, " it gets in you blood",  they are speaking the truth.   Welcome aboard Fire Fighter.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Larry

Quote from: Nvfd3052 on August 30, 2012, 07:59:07 PM

I think that's a great idea.  Gives you time to learn and explore your options.

At one time I thought I could make and sell storage sheds.  Had all the tools and experience so why not.  After checking out what some of the local Amish sold there sheds for, I decided that was a bad idea.  They are able to use every scrap of lumber and there labor cost was quite low.  The whole family worked on building sheds...the 5 year olds carried tools for the older workers. :D  Opened another door...I delivered some of the sheds for them.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!