iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you see sawmills being towed on the road?

Started by thecfarm, January 24, 2013, 10:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orion388

As I was getting out of my truck last evening at the mini-mart to get my evening after work Mtn. Dew fix. I seen a small truck with some fresh cut lumber on the back. And as funny as it may sound, my first thought was "who's horning in on my territory"  :D :D :D With ALL my 2mbf cutting expierence so far!!  8) 8) ;D Could not be happier with the LT35 than I am .. Only the man I'm sawing for seems happier.

Funny how we notice these things now ...

Oh yea and one more thing ... Dealing with Marty Parsons.. What a chore   (NOT)... Ordered a De-Barker last Thrusday and it TOOK till Monday (afternoon  ;D)to be delivered to my door step, geesh!!! ;D ;D 8)   Thanks Marty, AWESOME service!!
LT35HD, Kubota L4330, Stihl 361, 026, Massey Fersuson 55, Ventrac, Grasshopper, Small dumptruck and a huge yearning for knowledge from this forum.

Magicman

If you ever get behind me towing my sawmill you will see this.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I was going to be on the road this morning, but the job got delayed until Saturday!  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tyb525

I've seen a couple LT40s set up near the road, but never seen one being towed. In fact I always look at what someone is towing in case it might be a mill.

Just a few days ago I saw a brand new WM edger set up near the road with a pile of logs, but no mill. Somewhere around Bedford, Indiana, I think.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thecfarm

It wasn't going down the road,but I saw one parked in front of the only restaurant in Livermore Falls. The wife saw it before me. It's a REAL sharp corner and a trailer truck was taking some of my side of the road to make the turn,which they just about have too.I was trying to give him some more room when the wife says,what is that? She knew it was a sawmill. A brand new WM.  ;D   I was past it,so no idea what size. Was a white truck in front of it. Must of came from Chesterville.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

One of my very few competitors was sitting on his front porch this morning when I went by.  If I had seen him sooner I could have honked at him and his idle sawmill as I passed.  Now that was not nice, but I sawed a nice job.   ;D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

thecfarm, you could have turned around and got the details for us. Was it a Super, a 70? We need to know these things you know. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_S.

thecfarm,
I saw one entering I95 near the Gardiner Service Area about a month ago...didn't catch the brand but it was red. I have probably seen 4 or 5 on the road in the 5.5 years I have worked in Maine.
I travel all over central/northern Maine and have seen dozens of mills parked or set up. One guy in Solon is running an operation right out of his (very small) driveway.  Cracks me up everytime I go by it. Must not be any zoning laws there!  There are two on US1 between Houlton and Danforth that don't appear to have been used at all in the years I have gone by them.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

backwoods sawyer

I have seen five mills on the road my mill was in tow for three of those.
One was a nice shiny clean mill and mine was just coming home from a big job covered in wet sawdust and other grime.
How many locally i have seen 25+ ,7 high production mills in the county
I have counted 50+ log trucks go by daily while set up along a highway.
I keep my mill on the road quite a bit.
Douglas county Or, also boasts being the timber capital of the world, seems to be plenty of logs to go around.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Dave Shepard

A friend of mine has an LT40 that he bought I think in '09. I saw it once on the road then and that's the only time I've ever seen a mill on the road. I've seen him set up with it twice so far, although I know he runs it often.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rmack

I saw a Woodmizer, looked like LT40 about a year and a half ago, headed toward Prince George. other than that... I know plenty of people see my mill from the road. :)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

thecfarm

I saw the rails of a LT15,had the extensions strapped to the rails. No head,no nothing,just the rails. It was parked at the lumber yard.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I tapped my horn and waved at my "competitor" neighbor Monday AM when I passed.   ;D

BCsaw

We saw one this spring go up the logging road beside our property. It went up the neighbours back road. I think when he finds out that I have a mill......I may get a call. He still has lots of nice doug fir on his property. ;D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

yukon cornelius

the first and last I saw was pulling in my drive when my mill was delivered. I rarely see log trucks either. I did see around 100 large walnut logs that had been stacked up for years not too far from home. If I could figure out what to do with mine id try to ask about them.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

kczbest

I have never seen one on the road unless it was hooked to my truck or when the buyer left with my old mill. There are 10 portable mills in Lowndes county (that I know of) and all of them are set up stationary as far as I know. I see more log trucks than I care to count on a daily basis but I did see the prettiest load of big defect free Hickory logs that I have ever seen at a store in Noxubee county yesterday. I knew the driver and asked him where the logs came from and just my luck they came off of my Great Grandfathers old home place, too bad my Grandfather sold the place right after WWII!
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

36 coupe

Quote from: thecfarm on January 24, 2013, 10:34:33 PM
I was thinking,I see very few sawmills being towed down the road. In fact I really can not remember the last time I saw one and where it was.We go alot too. Not too many freeways,but mostly back roads and state highways. I see every piece of heavy equipment being hauled,right from tractors to forwarders. I don't miss a log truck,empty or full either.
Saw two new Thomas mills on a trailer go by when I was in the garden.Looked like 8020 mills.I think most mill owners saw for themselves and dont run the roads.

Nomad

The only one I've ever seen other than mine was a smaller Baker I saw a couple of months ago in central Georgia.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

goose63

Mine will be on the road to Rosholt S D for the thrashing bee the 16 &17 th this month will be a lot of people see it in action  8) 8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

boscojmb

I have never seen another mill on the road other than my own. This picture was taken June 30 on the way to a job in Groton, VT.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

schmism

Just past an orange one about 2 weeks ago.  looked like an LT40 ish.  Older version not something new. 

I usually see one a year round my parts (central IL)
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

backwoods sawyer

Haven't seen one in a while, but while on the freeway coming back from a road trip one of those little smart cars got all his squirrels up to a full gallop as he went sailing past the mill. ;D 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Kasba

I have never seen one in my neck of the woods other than the one behind my truck, just the other day I was discussing the same question with my wife. When I bought my mill I was told there were about 600 mills on our island but I guess the majority are stationary.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

logboy

I drive to Minneapolis once a week or so to saw. But I'm pulling a Lucas, which just looks like a bunch of strange mechanical parts and two really long aluminum rails on the trailer. No one knows what the heck it is with the slabber.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Joe Hillmann

I just saw a woodmizer being towed on Hwy. 29  between Green Bay, WI and Wausau.  It is probably the first one I have seen on the road in a couple years.

Thank You Sponsors!