iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Toe in" on a lt40

Started by onionman, October 26, 2006, 11:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onionman

Need some of that knowledge that always seems to be flowing around here..
was checking over the mill today and noticed that the idle side of the head is toed in toward the main rail about 1/4". Is this normal? The head is  tight( normal) and the rollers seem ok. I looked back thru the manual but do not see it mentioned in the adjusment section.
Thanks
Onion

BBTom

I am having a problem seeing what you are saying.  What exactly is toed in? 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

onionman

Bibbyman

smiley_headscratch

As you look at the back side of the sawhead from the opperator's possiton,  is the right side (idle side) of the blade houseing up/down?, forward/back? from the other side?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

onionman

Bibbyman

Thanks,  got it..

I've never checked any of the three WM mills I've had to see if it was 90 degrees from the main rail in that plane.  If it's sawing good lumber, I'd think that much wouldn't be a factor. 

Maybe Sparks is in today and can comment.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ronwood

I never have checked  for toe in. I am wondering if that is the way it is set up much like the 1/8 in that the blade is higher off the bed when the guide is all the way out verses the blade height at the inside guide roller.  Head is tilted slight up.

Good question for Sparks.
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

onionman

Thanks
Leave it to me to ask the strange questions..
Onion

ronwood

Onion,

Nothing strange about the question. It's got my interest. Hopefully  Sparks will share some light on it.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

VA-Sawyer

Mine is just the opposite.  On a square end the blade will contact the log about 1/4" sooner on the drive side of the mill. I always figured it was to reduce the impact shock and the resulting blade deflection caused by entering the log.
A byproduct of this, is that the vertical carriage tube closest to the blade is closer to the frame than the other tube. The feed chain tends to get a little too close and rub at times. That tube is also closer to the contactor strip for the hydraulics. Sometimes if a large log rolls hard against the backstops it will shake the mill enough for that tube to rock over and make contact with the 'hot' strip. It can put on a bit of fireworks for a second or two. Someday I'm going to upgrade to the standard contactor rail and I won't have that problem any more.
VA-Sawyer

logwalker

I use my saw to notch posts for beam saddles. I need it to be as close to 90 as I can get it. I think you could adjust the guide blocks where they ride on the vertical post to get that "true". Otherwise if you never notch as I do it wouldn't matter. LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Brucer

Mine is off square by about 1/8" across the 24" cutting width. I think the idle side is shifted back, but I can't remember for sure. Can't square it up too easily by adjusting the idle rollers, but it doesn't matter much for my kind of work.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

MartyParsons

I have never measured it but I am pretty sure all new mills are 90 degrees to the main beam on the mill. Have you checked your mast rail adjustment? Run the saw head up within 1 " up and check the inside ( toward the engine) pads there should be about the thickness of a credit card. and then run the saw head down within 1 " and check the outside pads right above the fuse box. This should also be the same thickness. These are adjustable. This is not a common wear adjustment but should be checked during service.  :P Please read your manual before performing any service.
      I think Sparks will be out untill Wednesday
I saw a Wood-Mizer mill that was delibertly toed in. He had double pads on one side to do this. This Wood-Mizer had 18,000 hours on the hour meter.  I questioned him about it and he said it helped to improve production? He also had many other inventions or additions to the mill. Some looked interesting and others looked scary from a safety stand point.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

onionman

Keep the input coming..
Finished doing  the complete step by step setup yesterday.
Good news is I didn't have too many parts left over and the saw seems to cut ok.
But the head is still toed in will have to look at the mask adj closer.
Can the mask be adj for the correct spacing and still not be at 90 degrees to the main beam?

MartyParsons

The adjustment for the mast is not an adjustment for toe in. Yes the adjustment could be correct and your mill may still be toed in.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

onionman

Thank You Sponsors!