iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anyone modified an older (1980's) LT40 sawdust "chute?"

Started by Full Circle, September 28, 2011, 09:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Full Circle

I'm milling black locust with the 1988 LT40 and sawdust control isn't nearly as good (politely understated) as on the newer machines.  Soon enough I won't have to worry about sawdust sticking to my sweaty face, but I'll still be breathing the stuff....I was planning on a simple sheet metal and rivets modification, modeled after the newer design with the chute and hose, but figured I would see if anyone here has done something that works.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

HOGFARMER

Hope you get something interesting with photos or drawings.  I have an 1988 LT30 and am considering the same think as it get sawdust everywhere.
Manual LT-30

Full Circle

Hogfarmer, if nothing comes along I'll document what I do and post it.
-Roy

HOGFARMER

Thanks, I would appreciate it.  To bad Woodmizer doesn't offer a bolt or weld on kit to do this.
Manual LT-30

trapper

I have been thinking the same thing.  Looking to see what comes of this.  Just keep it simple.I need  simple
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

pineywoods

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

zopi

Now that my mill is off the ground I need to do the same...besides it dumps dust on the loading winch...will probably make a cover for that by cutting the side out of one of my wife's trash cans...

Maybe a sheet metal chute to contain it a bit and get it farther from the operators path...seems like there is something in the mill mods thread....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Coon

My mill ain't a mizer but it is still partially orange and I just simply cut aparta five gallon bucket and some pop rivets to improve my sawust situation although it is still not exactly what I want.  It directs the sawdust down nicely instead of straight out. 

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Full Circle

Good idea, Coon.  Hadn't thought of plastic.  The shape of yours is close to what I'll end up with, I imagine.  Thanks.
-Roy

red

i think it is jim rodgers that hanges a bucket maybe a 5gal
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Chuck White

This sawdust chute mod is on my 1995 LT40HDG24.

This mod requires that part of the sawdust deflector be removed, thus removing the fingers that stop a blade when it breaks, so you'll need to drill and put a couple of blade stoppers (bolts) a little further up.

When these pics were taken, I just used a small scrap of wood to hold the chute up.  Now I have a couple of "eye" bolts and a small turn buckle to adjust the angle of the chute.

It works really well, as you can see in one of the pics, it gets the sawdust out of your way.

I can saw 5-6K bf without having to shovel sawdust.

Not sure if it will work on your mill or not, but it might.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

octam1

what I am doing on my 1986 LT40 I recently picked up is adding WM A12297 sawdust chute kit, for 50 bucks and some change, it includes the chute, hardware & rubber hose, it will be well worth it in my opinion because the few trees that we have milled on it since we got it back up and running have pretty much made a mess at our feet and with just an expanded metal screed on the bottom of the cutting head, it sure causes alot of sawdust to fly around in the air... that screed will be taken out and a solid plate added in on the bottom to close it in, then the chute bolted on... should be pretty straight forward, I just ordered it while ordering some other parts so we shall see when it gets here next week.
KnottHead Custom Sawing & FabWorx
Ceres/Twain Harte CA.

WoodMizer LT40SHDG38 w/AS2 & Debarker
Lucas 8-20 Swinger w/60" Slabber & Planer
Solar/Dehumidifier Kiln in the worx
Stihl - 2x 026's, 044, 046, 2x 066, MS660, 2x 088 & 3x 075AV

Chuck White

I put a sawdust chute kit with the hose on my FIL's 1992 LT40G18.  Took about 10 minutes to install.

He really likes it, but it still doesn't move the sawdust very far, but at least its not exactly where you have to walk.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Full Circle

Sounds like I'm guilty of doing what I'm prone to do at times:  reinvent the wheel.

But now that I see Chuck's modification with an adjustable chute, I'm thinking of modifying the modification! 

Thanks for the help.
-Roy

Chuck White

Roy, I can't take full credit of doing the chute mod.

It was already done when I bought my mill.

I just added the eye bolts and turn-buckle!

It does work really well.

HOGFARMER

Saw som,e interest about this recently and thought it would be good to bring it back to the top.
Manual LT-30

yellowrosefarm

Funny, about 10 minutes ago I found this old thread and the Woodmizer part number for the sawdust extension kit A12297. Current price is $56 and some change. I'll order one in a few days once the "card" rolls over.

yellowrosefarm

Got the kit today and it was well worth the money. I could not have come close to making something that fit as well, folded out of the  way and had that nifty rubber hose extension.

Thank You Sponsors!