iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band Wheel Size VS Motor Size?

Started by skocienski, March 06, 2012, 08:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skocienski

Question, is there a maximum engine size you would run for 19 inch band wheels? I realize from reading bigger wheels, bigger blade, longer blade life, but how big of motor can you run on 19 inch band wheel with 1 1/4 by .042 blade? 

dgdrls

Not sure there is a set answer, I looked at the WM website they run that blade on the 25 HP LT-28.

Check the Cooks Website,  he discusses bandwheel size, HP and torque. 

Best DGDrls

ladylake

I'd guess around a 30hp diesel or a 35 hp gas would be about all the band could handle.  More isn't going to hurt if you keep the feed rate right for the band.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

I'd say Steve has come close,I'd add a 15 hp electric to the list.The advantage with a larger engine is you can change pulley size and slow the engine down saving wear,noise and extending its life. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

pyrocasto

I run a 30hp on mine, wouldnt mind a few more horses so I could turn the feed rate up a bit.  8)

Thank You Sponsors!