iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Climate Change

Started by terry f, April 15, 2012, 12:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiko

I blows my blows my mind that some people will deny the existence of climate change.   Just yesterday it was 40 degrees or so when I woke up then by noon the CLIMATE HAD CHANGED to about 75 degrees .   Folks it is real and sometimes we just have to be prepared to wear a light jacket in the am and then remember not to let that jacket stay in the work truck for months.

WDH

It is a chilly 56 degrees in Atlanta right now.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tacotodd

It's 59 at this moment in my town of Bauxite AR.

Climate change IS REAL, but it's cyclical because of the way that the universe works.
Trying harder everyday.

mudfarmer

Not going to get into climate vs weather but always love a good beaver story or two  ;D

On trying to plant trees with climate change in mind, a neighbor asked the same question. As usual I don't think it is that simple. So you plant a bunch of southern species in Maine because you think it is going to be warmer overall in 10, 20, 100 years. We also have increasing disease and pest pressure (mostly non native invasives). So you plant a bunch of oak but they get gypsy mothed, or you plant a bunch of white pine and they get weeviled to junk, or you plant XYZ and wooooops there is now a fungus that came from mars and wipes out the whole species across the continent. I think maybe all you can do is diversify like Tarm and hope for the best.

Nobody thought the chestnut would be gone, the ash borered, the beech blistered, the elm all dutched up. We can hedge our bets against known variables but it is the unknown ones that will bite us in the cambium.

mudfarmer

Barbender there is a fellow here like your friend, he works for USDA I believe but also contracts out. All nuisance beaver work and seems to do quite well..

The state, county, towns and railroad cos hire this guy to get rid of beavers that flood roads and plug culverts. EVERY single year he gets paid to go to the same spots and get rid of beavers then unplug the culvert. Over and over again the man collects his Sisyphus checks for rolling the beavers uphill. There are some 'exclusion' methods and devices that can be used to keep the beavers from plugging the culverts but someone would rather pay tax payer dollars every year to trap the beaver and clean the culvert.

SwampDonkey

Some of us have more tree diversity on our ground than we mention. I have a lot of fir, but I have a lot of spruce(s), pine, cherry(s), maple(s), birch(s), ironwood, cedar, aspen(s) and ash(s) by the 1000's as well. A typical tolerant hardwood ridge up here is predominantly sugar maple. A heck of a lot less diverse than my ground. All the (s)'s, means more than one species. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

Quote from: kiko on December 05, 2021, 08:49:41 AM
I blows my blows my mind that some people will deny the existence of climate change.   Just yesterday it was 40 degrees or so when I woke up then by noon the CLIMATE HAD CHANGED to about 75 degrees .   Folks it is real and sometimes we just have to be prepared to wear a light jacket in the am and then remember not to let that jacket stay in the work truck for months.
You ever been to the desert?  I was out at 29 palms for two different training deployments, Christmas to march.  It goes from frozen canteens to T shirts and back every single day!
Praise The Lord

kiko

Quote from: mudfarmer on December 05, 2021, 09:26:12 AM
Not going to get into climate vs weather but always love a good beaver story or two  ;D

Since this thread can remain out of restricted topics as long as it does not get political; I thought I would try sarcasm.  Looks like this thread could be pushed into restricted topics without climate change discussion.

Southside

As a guy who needs to know what the weather is almost daily during the growing season I spend a lot of time looking at multiple forecasts.  Couple years ago I noticed that it was almost always raining at the local airport according to NOAA.  Even when I would drive by the sensor in full, bright, sun, my phone showed that it was raining.  This went on for a year or better, became a local joke.  I contacted NOAA once and they told me they knew about it and there was nothing they could do as the instrument belonged to the FAA.  Do you think that data was disregarded since they know it was not valid or it is baked into the pie?  How many other times and places does this happen?  Yea, I don't trust the data.  

Funny how some "science" is disregarded to prove other "science" when there is a lot of money to be made.  Take for example sample size, lets call it time.  The Al Gore climate change science is looking at what 150 years out of 7 billion and makes these predictions. Take it to the extreme and tell me it makes sense.  Have a scientist, who hasn't been around for say a few billion years,  sit on the beach in Maine for 12 hours on a spring day when the snow is melting, right at ebb tide as the water starts to come back in.  In 10 hours the conclusion becomes that the climate is warming, filling the ocean which is rising, and in a month the entire planet will be under water.  That's about what the climate change credibility looks like. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

grabber green

The sahara desert used to be a lush jungle,Antartica use to be a rainforest, volcanos are spewing large amounts of toxic gas every day . More crude oil than humans use in one day is naturaly flowing out in the ocean every day. But I'm killing polar bear by plowing my garden with my 8n ford tractor and driving to town in my 65 f100? ........  Do we live in clown world? ...........        Yes we do.

Hilltop366

I'm unsure on the percentage of climate change that is man made verses natural but I won't dismiss that everything everybody does has a effect on everyone and everything else.

We have had British Columbia forest fire smoke here in Nova Scotia, so that is from 3000 miles away, Tennessee to Churchill Manitoba is almost half at 1642 miles.

(terry f had to wait almost 10 years but this thread has finally taken off)   

Roxie

I've owned my home for 35 years and have been an avid gardener all my life. My front faces due north, the rear due south.  Plantings in the front were full shade regardless of season or time of day due to the house itself, until I noticed that the sun does now shine there except for about 3 feet from the foundation.  

Did the earthquake in Japan knock us about?  It was shortly after that event that I pulled into my driveway at noon and was dumbstruck to see full sun on my front plants. 
Say when

SwampDonkey

The old farm house that sat here was in 3 quakes. The first one you don't see in the record, was back between to two big wars. The house settled in that first one 2" lower toward the west. I witnessed two of them quakes in the 1980's, those are on record. Had some damage to a some surface walls, as far I know the damage was not reported. That is also the case for a lot of events, unless it effects many, it's unseen. The capital city here is smack dab centre on a fault line. The epicenter of the two quakes I saw is at Jocks Lake, 100 miles from here. That divides two major river systems.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Hilltop366

Quote from: Roxie on December 05, 2021, 12:34:57 PMIt was shortly after that event that I pulled into my driveway at noon and was dumbstruck to see full sun on my front plants

A practical joke no doubt, someone turned your house while you were out. :)

HemlockKing

Quote from: Hilltop366 on December 05, 2021, 12:24:15 PM
I'm unsure on the percentage of climate change that is man made verses natural but I won't dismiss that everything everybody does has a effect on everyone and everything else.

We have had British Columbia forest fire smoke here in Nova Scotia, so that is from 3000 miles away, Tennessee to Churchill Manitoba is almost half at 1642 miles.

(terry f had to wait almost 10 years but this thread has finally taken off)  
The jet stream sucks a lot of stuff up here as well, the acid rain in the 80s. I remember that smoke this past summer and I could see a haze in the air just from 100 foot
A1

moodnacreek

Quote from: WDH on December 05, 2021, 08:56:31 AM
It is a chilly 56 degrees in Atlanta right now.  
Just like New York.

Hilltop366

Quote from: HemlockKing on December 05, 2021, 02:26:08 PMThe jet stream sucks a lot of stuff up here as well, the acid rain in the 80s. I remember that smoke this past summer and I could see a haze in the air just from 100 foot

Back in the early 1990's my brother and I had set up some towers with construction staging, cables and anchors in a field on the coast here for the University of Colorado, I was speaking to the professor that was in charge and was asking what they were doing, he explained that they were working with the US military to try and prove or disprove that we were getting most of our pollution from the US (think steel mills, auto industry....). They were mounting sensors on the towers and the military were to release plumes of some kind of gas from a airplane in various locations and see if they could detect it here.

A few months later we went and removed the staging and I spoke to the professor and said "so you figured out that we get your pollution a day or two after you make it over there " he replied "yup, thats pretty much it".

You can time it with the weather, we would watch a Detroit or Boston cable TV weather and see what is coming hear in a day or two depending on the air stream.

Claybraker

Quote from: kiko on December 05, 2021, 08:49:41 AM
I blows my blows my mind that some people will deny the existence of climate change.   Just yesterday it was 40 degrees or so when I woke up then by noon the CLIMATE HAD CHANGED to about 75 degrees .   Folks it is real and sometimes we just have to be prepared to wear a light jacket in the am and then remember not to let that jacket stay in the work truck for months.
I have already adapted, started wearing long pants, okay pajama bottoms and !gasp! socks with real shoes instead of shorts and sandals. This too shall pass.

mike_belben

Yesterday a buddy of mine called me a bit riled up about all the general crazy going on in american life today and he mentioned that hes 56 and always loved looking up at planes all his life.  

Said as a kid the contrails dissipated and now they linger for a very long time.  "Theyre spraying something man" is his sort of conclusion.  He is prone to go pretty far down rabbit holes. I pick and choose mine.  Just wondering what you guys think of contrails
Praise The Lord

Tarm

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 05, 2021, 05:19:11 AM
Up here there have been some videos created aimed to eradicate balsam fir. Well, I'm not in that camp. I don't see the decline they portray. First off their portrayal is always in dense thickets or understory stunted stuff. Then they will pick a couple dead stubs with the red needles still on and make it their show case for their message. My woodlot is managed, it is being thinned all the time. I have 1000's a chalk white healthy fir roughly 30-40 years old. I'm removing the junk now, in a  second thinning since the first thinning 10-15 years ago. The mentality in the last 30-40 years has been to do nothing unless government rewards me. Then cry about the state of things. I have thinned a lot of junk fir on mill ground and crown. How anyone thinks a fir with rotten heart wood today magically makes white lumber in 30 years is beyond imagination. ::)
I'm happy you have quality balsam fir Swamp. Balsam fir is at its southern range in Wisconsin. It has a history of non-management. The loggers I've had didn't even bother to sort out the saw bolts when they harvest balsam fir, they just throw it all into the pulp pile. I can't blame them when one stick in ten makes a saw bolt. Softwood pulp markets are declining locally so I've decided to favor a potential sawtimber species, white pine, over a pulp only species, balsam fir.

Southside

I see the same thing, and lately I have seen a lot of contrails. However, jet engine technology has changed, folks awareness has changed, the sheer number of flights has increased so I tend to lean on the idea that if something was going on then those doing so would not be so obvious about it. Just flying at night would eliminate most of the observation if there was an evil event happening. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

Google "chemtrails".  Big conspiracy theory that's been around quite a while. Nothing to worry about if you wear a tinfoil hat. ::) 

Art Bell, rest his soul, used to have chemtrail people on his radio show pretty often. He was really good at interviewing people with all sorts of interesting "facts" and conspiracies. Hollow earth, chupacabras, Mel's hole, and so forth. Perfect material for listeners during the 1:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. timeslot.  Entertainment but not information, unless someone was predisposed to believing a lot of unusual "theories ".

Just contrails up there, no different than ever.  They vary in density and dispersal rate depending on water vapor content and other conditions of the the atmosphere at 36 - 40 thousand feet.
HM126

Southside

There was also the other guy that was on the radio about the same time as Art. The one who used multiple voices to act as both the host and guests, he would get actual callers to call in thinking they were talking to a nut job when all along they were talking to the host. He was quite funny and talented. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

Sounds like Phil Hendri. That was his schtick. He was good at at it. He was at KFI in LA when I lived there. His show was on from 7-10 out there. Must have been syndicated. I used to listen for a few minutes sporadically when I was in the car. His act had me fooled until I heard it a few times. He had some pretty goofy "guests".
HM126

Southside

Yup - that's him. I remember one time he came right out and told the caller a couple of times that he was doing all the voices and it was a gag show and the caller was so wound up they would just not believe him.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!