iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using diesel/kerosene and oil lube - does it cause finishing problems later?

Started by treebucker, January 19, 2007, 08:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

The tales I've heard of Government involvement had to do with sawing pressure treated wood.  Perhaps the oil lube was just part of an operation like this.

LT40HDD51

I was sawing frozen spruce today in about -10C or -12C weather (up here in Nova Scotia) using about a 50/50 mix of windshield wash and water. Works good, sawdust doesnt freeze onto the mill, never had a problem with any color of washer fluid staining anything(pink, purple, blue...).

I use straight water in the warmer weather with a shot of dish soap in really sticky stuff. I cut pine for a log home builder in 30C sunny weather that have been peeled and the sap just runnin, and it keeps the blade clean. Same with spruce (can be bad) or hackmatack (larch, tamarack... bubbles of sap under the bark).

Also, the water or oil shouldn't have to cool the blade, only keep it clean. A properly cutting blade makes no heat. You WM guys with a hydraulic tensioner know that when your blade gets dull, it gets hot. When it gets hot, the blade expands and the tension goes down as you can see at the guage. Water can help this some but you are just straining the blade, and will get less runs out of it.

I never really thought about the environmentalists comin after you, but I have considered not dripping diesel all over the countryside...
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Thank You Sponsors!