iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sky scenes  

Started by Bibbyman, February 15, 2003, 08:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

It is a piece of a regular rainbow. Crepuscular rays are what you see when sunlight shines through openings in clouds, giving the impression the light is spreading out. That is actually a perspective effect, like how rows of a crop in a field look as you pass them. Anticrepuscular rays are what you sometimes get in the sky opposite the sun where it looks like the rays are coming together again. Also a perspective effect on parallel light. Anticrepuscular rays are more uncommon than their spreading counterparts and are usually only seen near sunrise and sunset.

Hope the explanation helps.  ;D

It lasted like 15 minutes. ;D ;D ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Mammatocumulus over Tucson from a nearby severe thunderstorm.

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

That looks eerie.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

It covered about 1/2 of the sky. Clouds of this type are associated with severe thunderstorms and tornados.

If you look closely the dot to the lower right is an A10 Thunderbolt from Davis Monthan AFB.
Best air to mud plane in the Air Force for close air support of our troops. It is a constant fight to keep them as part of the team. >:(

thecfarm

No wonder I could not get the bug off my screen.  ;D
More nice pictures of the clouds. Mine are kinda boring in this area. They all kinda look the same. Some white some black.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

Figured I'd change things around some. This is Sun-up from Daytona Beach Florida.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

That's a happy scene Bill.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

Purty ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Raider Bill

Sunset, Treasure Island Florida

mesquite buckeye

Cool. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Looks Florida flat. :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:

Raider Bill

Flat as the eye can see!

mesquite buckeye

Or maybe round and really really big. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

sawguy21

Our dog would have loved that beach.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

New flag at the cabin flying proud.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bricklayer51

Now that's a beautiful sight. Hope Pete got some meat.

Raider Bill

Took this last Saturday.

Ianab

Tropical night sky on Rarotonga

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mesquite buckeye

Very nice. What did you use to take it?

Bay Beagle

last weeks pic, before the storms moved in .... off the Chesapeake Bay -

Ianab

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on October 02, 2015, 07:26:47 AM
Very nice. What did you use to take it?

Nothing fancy.

Canon Rebel T3 on manual setting, and sat on the deck railing. 30 second exposure.

The sand and palm are lit from the lights inside the house, and the rest is starlight.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bibbyman

Quote from: Bibbyman on February 15, 2003, 08:28:43 AM

I shot this picture looking south from our yard just at sundown in July of 93 - the year of the Great Flood.  This thunderhead dumped over 5" of rain in about 45 minutes on Linn, MO about 20 miles south of us.

Here is an elm tree in our front yard I caught with the early morning frost.

Yeah,   I'm still kicking.   

I went back to the post I made over 13 years ago that started this topic. Two things stick out,  one, the picture file size limits were much lower then, and two, a good many of the first posters on this topic are no longer with us.

It's great to see this topic is still going and growing.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

I'm glad to see it going and growing too. I enjoy all of the pictures. It's good to capture some of them. Some only last a few minutes and than are gone.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

We have had some storms in Tucson starting yesterday. Some severe with hail and whirling winds. Shot this rainbow over the front range of the Santa Catalina Mountains while driving to pick up my stepdaughter from school.

This triple rainbow is outside my window as this is written.

The third one is visible just below the main rainbow.

Tucson is beautiful.  ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Gary_C

Here are a few new sky pictures I have accumulated this past year. Last June I drove out to Idaho Falls for my brother's memorial service. The first picture is of the east side of the Tetons taken north of Jackson,WY.

The next picture is from the Teton Pass just west of Jackson. You can see the cut in the distance where the road coming out of Jackson rises at a 13 degree grade. I think that Teton Pass was the steepest road we traveled.

This picture was taken east of Idaho Falls, not sure exactly where as it was taken by my brother sometime in the winter of 2013-14.

The next picture was taken on the way home. We were just south of Yellowstone NP and just west of the Teton Range. The picture is either the Tetons to the west of us or Yellowstone to the north of us.

The road in the next picture is just on the way to the west gate of Yellowstone.

Here is Old Faithful just finishing in the late afternoon sky.

The road coming down to the west side of Yellowstone Lake looking east.

Around on the east side of Yellowstone Lake looking back west at the sunset. Notice the thermal vents steaming along the shore of the lake.

A few survivor trees on the east side of the lake. You will see why I call them survivor trees in the last picture.

Some more survivors.

This is the east side of Yellowstone Lake still waiting for the cleanup or replanting. I'm not sure if this is left over from the fires some years ago or just the result of the dying Lodgepole which can be seen all over the area.

The scenery on the trip was breathtaking but the reason for the trip was not so good.   

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

thecfarm

Sorry to hear you could not enjoy the trip.  Nice pictures. I see alot of firewood in that last picture of dead wood.

Thank You Sponsors!