iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sky scenes  

Started by Bibbyman, February 15, 2003, 08:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog

Left Coast Chris

Had to pull over and just stare for awhile........

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Jeff

I took this one from Lime Island one evening a few years ago when we were out there as volunteers. I just found it tonight.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paschale

I think this has to be one of my favorite threads.   8) 8) 8) 8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

thecfarm

This is what I get to see:

We get to see the moon rise too.That is real pretty to see when the moon is red.We get to see it come up on the horizon.Looks like it comes up real fast when we can't see the whole moon,just the top of it.Than we can see the whole thing it takes a long time to come up the rest of the way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I seen a combination of Jeff's and thecfarm's up on the St. Lawrence when passing through Rimouski, Qc in 1996. It just happened to be the 300th anniversary since it's founding. All hotels were booked up, so we went a little further east and stayed in an old railroad hotel.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Lake Michigan sunset 7-15-07

Furby

While I was in the UP last week, I took a trip in the fog out to an Island about a half mile or so out in Lake Huron.
This first pic was taken from the Island.

This one was back on shore looking West.

SwampDonkey

Nice scenery Furby. Aside from fog being cold, it makes for some interesting pictures. In the Autumn we get a lot of fog along the rivers, not so much on the hills unless it's raining before daylight.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

This scene was from Saturday night looking west.

Dave Shepard

Looking west eh? Did kevjay leave his Texan sized flashlight on again? :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TexasTimbers

Awww cmon now I ain't that bad Dave. ::)

That picture was taken when I had the fridge door open. :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Norm

Furby your second shot on Lake Huron is beautiful. Is there any chance I could get a full sized file of it e-mailed to me. :)

Jeff

Good Luck Norm. :D   I asked the same thing and aint got it yet.  That photo is pretty much in our "backyard"  from our property. Its a small Island just off of 134, probably 1/4 mile or less within sight of the sand beach where we go swimming. Furby will have to tell you about being lost in da fog while kayaking out to it. Rather, back from it. :)

Furby

Now Jeff, ya asked for a CD, if ya want them emailed.... why didn't ya say so? ;)

Well the story goes something like this.......
I headed out from Jeff's place towards DeTour Village. As soon as I pulled out I realized I was taking the long way around, but oh well.
It was nice and sunny and the water calm in DeTour and as I swung back West I drove into a heavy fog bank.
I could see folks out on the lake in some big row boats riding some real bigs waves.
Was a bit worried I wouldn't be able to take the kayak out. :-\
Stopped off at the state campground Jeff had told me about and took a look around.
Hit the road looking for this Island I had seen a day or two before and drove right out of the fog and once a gain the lake was pretty calm.
Found the DOT rest area that the Island is off of and walked out to the beach to check the conditions.
This is the Island when I first drove up.

There is a smaller Island that you can wade/swim to from shore on the left hand side of the pic.

This pic is of the big Island just before I got into the kayak to head out there.

The fog was moving in, but not real bad and I really wanted to see what was out there so I went. ::)
There is open water between the two Islands and that is the direction the waves were coming from, but they weren't real big and I could see the bottom pretty much the whole way out there.
That's not saying much in the clear waters of Lake Huron though as you can see a loooong way down.
I made it out to the Island with no problems and then went for a swim in the extremly refreshing waters of Lake Huron.
Looking back towards shore I realized the fog was too thick and that I couldn't see shore any longer. :o
I placed a call to the StumpJumpers with hopes they'd let Jonny join me out there (knowing full well they wouldn't ::) ) and also informed them that I couldn't see shore, but knew the way back. ;D
Next I set out to explore a little and towards the South side I came across some really weathered planks laid out as a walkway. I had to follow it! ;D First I came across a small fire ring and a cast iron tub near by, then I saw the cabin set right in the trees.
New It was time to take off as I didn't want to be tresspassing, but I didn't have a clue anyone lived there.
I did go around to the other side of the Island and saw a dock and an old row boat up on the bluff, but with the fog moving in heavier, it was time to go.
Hard to see, but here's the pic.

Heading back I made it about half way across and still couldn't see shore and also lost sight of the Island behind me, but could see the small Island off to my right.
I couldn't resist! ;D
I did a 90 and headed over to the small Island for a little exploring as well.
By the time I was ready to head back, it was pretty easy to see shore from the small Island and I headed in.
This is what I saw looking back toward the smaller Island, the bigger one still couldn't be seen.

I was told after my return that Jeff's buddy Lou had stopped by the StumpJumpers to pick up the kids so they could feed the chuckers.
After not seeing my vehicle, Lou asked about me.
The StumpJumpers explained where I was and that I had just called and said I couldn't see shore.
Lou just shook his head and said they lose a few fellows that way every year. :D :D :D

I did make it back to camp just in time for some dutch oven baked Peach Cobbler and ice cream. ;D

That's a double Furby helping! smiley_big-grin2

We tried to invite Jeff and the crew, but they were out and about and missed it. ;D

Jeff

Awe man, why did ya post the picture of the cobbler?  Now I really feel bad about missing out. :-\ :)

Furby

Told ya I was posting it!
smiley_big-grin2

SwampDonkey

He needed a good helping to supplement his frantic paddling to find shore. He musta been ghostly by then.  ;D

Norm

Wow dutch oven cobbler, umm ummm.  :)

Furby there's no way I'd gone out in the fog, glad you made it back ok. Every time I see photos of that area the more it makes me want to visit. I keep thinking I'm going to get a vacation some day and my sons keep finding more work for me. Darn this capitalism. :D

Stump Jumper

This is what happens to a Furby, after a "Furby double helping" of peach cobbler and ice cream.    food1  digin_2  cone_1  musteat_1

smiley_biggrin01
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

SwampDonkey

He came unwound, eh?  :D :D

Furby

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D :D Gotcha.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Stump Jumper

that was pure luck on getting that picture. because my wife had taken two shots before that and they didn't turn out. so she handed me the camera moments later and i turned the screen off so nobody new that the camera was on, I had it sitting on my knee and aimed it in the general direction and pressed the button.  what luck.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

pigman

Quote from: stump_jumper on August 19, 2007, 08:19:54 PM
  what luck.
Jeff, I want to know if it was good luck or bad luck getting a picture of Furby with his "hair down".

Bob

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!