iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heart of American Material Transportation. Altoona PA Horseshoe Curve

Started by weimedog, July 24, 2022, 10:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

moodnacreek

Looks like 2 pulling and 3 pushing on the coal drag. Thanks for posting.

Resonator

It's common on railroads now for remote controlled engines to be used at the back or in the middle of trains. Not only increases pulling power for long trains, but also helps in handling train length (slack) and braking ability (air brakes).
I never made it to Horseshoe Curve, but was near it a few times years ago driving semi. PA has a lot of neat places worth exploring.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Ljohnsaw

My property is at 5,674' elevation in the Sierras.  I have 10 acres on a lot that is pretty steep in places.  The very bottom is up against I80 with a single set of tracks between the East and West bound lanes.  There is a train about once an hour, 24 hours a day - mostly freight but several Amtrack going each direction per day.

Going up the hill, they are really chugging along.  I hear the head 2 or 3 engines, then a long stretch of cars, a couple more engines, another long stretch of car then 1 or 2 engines pushing.  Depending on the wind direction and speed, I may not hear them as they go by.

They "appear" from behind a ridge and within a mile enter a short tunnel, go around a big knoll/cliff and past a grade crossing (whistle blows way off in the distance) and on into some other tunnels.  So there is a pattern to the intensity of the engine noises.  I'm used to it now (camping for several nights each week working on my cabin) and find it somewhat soothing at night.  Going down the hill, usually just the occasional squealing brakes and rumble of wheels - very little engine noise.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

rusticretreater

Ah yes, America's love affair with trains.

I live near Elkton, VA which is a main line heading north.  Merck and Coors Brewing both have factories along this stretch of tracks.  Also to the north of us in the Virginia Inland Port at Front Royal where semi trailers are taken off flatbeds and put on I-81 which runs north to Harrisburg/Pittsburgh and points west.

The tracks are a staging area for trains to wait to use the routes north and I often see trains a mile or longer stopped south of Elkton, usually one but sometimes two.  As noted, four and six locomotives are used to push this huge mass around.  We hear the not so faraway train horns blowing as they pull out through the small towns and crossings, mostly in the evening as its more convenient to get on through places.  Probably the same trains pulling all the way to NYC and beyond.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

weimedog

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

moodnacreek

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

mudfarmer

There are Hank and Johnny versions with @moodnacreek lyric, let it slide and let it ride

("Just a kid actin' smart")

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: weimedog on July 26, 2022, 07:42:52 AM
Video's of those two spots ( Va & Ca ) would ne nice :)
Someday I might venture down there and wait for a train to shoot some video.  In the meantime, the Tehachapi Loop in southern California is pretty amazing. Tehachapi Loop
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Resonator

I prefer: "I hear that train a comin', it's rolling around the bend..." smiley_guitarist ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

moodnacreek

See that big 8 wheeler comin down the track, my true lovin baby an't comin back [Hank Snow] and how about The Wreck of 97?   Can't get those old train songs out of my head.

SwampDonkey

Hank Snow has several train songs. The popular ones of the bunch were 'The Canadian Pacific', 'City of New Orleans', 'I'm Movin' On'.

My grandfather liked his yodelling, also that of Wilf Carter, both Canadian. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!