iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ash

Started by coxy, September 23, 2016, 08:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

have or do any of you  older gents remember cutting ash novelty wood

treeslayer2003

novelty wood? i guess i don't.......veneer. some old folks would request ash cook stove wood.

HiTech

I remember some wanting it for the making of snowshoes and pack baskets.

coxy

HiTech never heard of it used for that but I'm shur it was used for many thing   it was cut 8ft L and if I remember right it could not be over 8in d it was used for nick knacks and things  you could not damage the bark or it was de graded    ill have to talk to a few other people and get more info

GAB

I sawed some ash 5/32" and 5/16" thick for a fellow for making shaker boxes.
Is this what you mean by the term novelty wood.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

hersnsh#590

The sap wood is good for making wooden showshoes and the bent parts of dog sleds.  Quarter sawn is best and some time in the steamer before bending doesn't hurt either.

Dale
TK 1600, small sugaring operation, a bench full of J'reds, a tired ford 1710, new to us JD 5065e, 2 Honda 4 whlrs, a Can-Am 580 on tracks, and a very understanding wife.

coxy

I still have not run into some of the older guys that cut it I remember my dad talking about cutting it and piling it in some kind of a wire crib all he told me as it was used for some kind of nick knacks and bowls

Decked

i used to send some soft maple logs to the Norton bat mill...they made novelty 15-18" (?) bats for ball game novelty bats...

Thank You Sponsors!