iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is there an on-line source of Stihl bar and chain?

Started by jimgerken, October 14, 2009, 11:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimgerken

Hi guys.  I have an 034, 16 inch bar.  Been thinking that when the chains I have wear out (probably this fall) and cannot be reground anymore, I would upgrade to an 18 or 20 inch bar, and get three new chains of course.  After reading all the good things you guys generally say about Stihl chain, sounds like I will stick with it.  One thing I wish to avoid is the bumpers (anti-kickback features), cause I hate the extra care it takes when sharpening.  I have plenty of experience so it is not a safety concern to me to loose the bumpers.  And I want to stick with semi-chisel, and 3/8", 050 gauge. 
  I know I could go to my local dealer and get the bar and chains, but can I save some money on line?  Does Baileys have Stihl?  It doesnt seem to appear on their website. 
  Thanks!

Rocky_J

No, not directly from a dealer. Stihl will revoke the franchise of any dealer selling Stihl products online.

You may find some stuff on eBay.

tonto

There is a guy, I think it "loghomecreations" that sells bar and chain combos on ebay. Have bought from them before, very good to deal with. Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

01crewcab

Well it's just a thought but you could buy an Oregon or Windsor bar on-line, and go to your dealer for the Stihl chain. The Stihl dealers around here often run 2 for 1 pricing on Stihl chain.
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

Rocky_J

2 for 1 pricing means absolutely nothing without looking at your actual cost per chain (or per link). I can spin my own chains for about 20 cents per link. Retail is about 40 cents per link. If a dealer has a '2 for 1' sale but the first chain costs 75 cents per link, then it's not much of a sale, is it?

01crewcab

I guess it would pay to know what chain cost before you go shopping now wouldn't it?
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

GASoline71

Quote from: Rocky_J on October 16, 2009, 05:56:45 PM
2 for 1 pricing means absolutely nothing without looking at your actual cost per chain (or per link). I can spin my own chains for about 20 cents per link. Retail is about 40 cents per link. If a dealer has a '2 for 1' sale but the first chain costs 75 cents per link, then it's not much of a sale, is it?

HA!  But your chain is coming from WA State Brian...  :D :D :D

To the OP of the thread... just go to your dealer... the Stihl ES bars are the best made... 16" to 20" bars are not that expensive. 

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

Al_Smith

Well that just depends on what geographical area of the country you live in as we all know .Good old Stihl gives you a hosing without benefit of a kiss first around these parts on chains and bars .

That said there is no denying it is quality stuff .The chains will out last about anything made .Not saying they are the fastest cutting but rather the longest to be kept in usable service .

Some belly ache about the hardness of the chain and difficulity  sharpening it .Aha ,a remedy .Good old Baileys sells a file under the name of Arbor Pro which is less aggressive than most and does a fine job on Stihl chains .Now granted it takes about twice as long to file out a Stihl chain but it holds the edge three times as long so the point is moot .

GASoline71

I guess livin' where I do and havin' the awesome dealer I do kinda spoils me a little Al...

Bars and chains are major consumables to my dealer... which is one of the largest Stihl and Husqvarna dealer in the North Sound area of WA State... They cater to mostly loggin' operations... so there are good deals to be had on bars and chains.  The have prolly a dozen bars each on the shelf from 16" all the way up to 36" at any time.

It's good to be spolied that way...

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

Al_Smith

Around these parts you would have to order a 36" bar as well as the Ms 660 to drive it .Fact is the one and only Sthil dealer out of three I deal with locally sells about 4 maybe 5 660's a year and just maybe one Ms 880 every 2 or 3 years .

It only takes a day to get them from Cincinnati though ,which is the disribution point

Frickman

Like Rocky J said, Stihl does not allow their dealers to sell online. I buy all my bars, chains, oil, etc. from my local dealer. I am a professional chain saw user who depends on my equipment to help me make a living and depends on my dealer to supply me with my saws and all necessary service and supplies. I cannot afford to go anywhere else. Besides, Stihl sells the best saws, bars, chain, and oil in the world. That's why they have 90% of the worldwide logging market.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Jim Spencer

I have a Logosol chainsaw mill and use a lot of chain and bars.   I mill about 3000 bd ft of oak and ash and maple boards each year with a stihl 066.  I also have a heatmore outdoor wood furnace. I burn at least 25 cord of wood a winter.   I buy everything from Baileys.  I find their chain and bars are as good as any and about 1/3 to 1/2 the price.  Can't beat Baileys.  I also have an 028 which is my favorite saw for firewood.  Also have a 029 which I have had lots of trouble with.  Just passing on information.  I did get some ripping chain(3 loops) from Baileys a couple years ago that was very weak and broke and they replaced it just from me calling and talking to them.  Found them to be honest.
Jim

jimgerken

Ahhh, the 028.  Had two different 028 saws over the years.  Wish I'd kept one. 

Local Stihl dealer prices checked:  20 inch Stihl bar = $65
20 inch chain (non safety, yellow label?) = $25 each

So, three chains and a bar, including tax costs $140 locally
Or, Bailys, Oregon brand, 3 chains and a bar is about $80 shipped. 

Red 93 L1 #3383

I just bought a 25" Stihl ES bar for $60.99.  If you have multiple dealers in your area check them all out the prices do seem to vary.  If you know of a major tree company in your area that uses Stihl saws & one certain dealer you could claim you just started working for them & try for a discount that way.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

beenthere

We have several Stihl dealers in this area. I don't wander from one to another to see which has a cheaper price on an item. I have a dealer that has treated me well for over 35 years, so I always go only to him. I don't try to get him to bring his price down, but pay what he asks, or go without. I want him to stay in business, and the only way he will stay, is if he can sell his products. Being there that long, I think he knows how.  :) :)

Feeding a dealer a story line that isn't true, would all-too-quickly come back around to bite me in the rear end. Eventually.  ::) ::)

Don't mean to lecture here.  :)

And jimgerken, I'd suggest getting a drive sprocket when you get the new chains and bar.  :)
I always buy two chains and a new sprocket, so the chains and sprocket wear out together. Now the saws have rim sprockets, but suspect they wear out too. I will replace it when I put on the two new chains that are about to go on the saw.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!