iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husky 359

Started by nas, November 07, 2009, 11:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nas

I am looking at a used 359 and would like to hear from people who have used one.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Don K

I have one I bought new from Bailey's. It has been a good saw for me. I run a 20" bar on mine. Have cut some big stuff. Has a pretty good bit of power, not like any of the XP's but gits er done.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

ladylake

I've heard the the 359 really wakes up with a muffler mod.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Maineloggerkid

I've used a couple different 359's nad I really like them. Good weight, reliable, and really good power for a mid-range saw.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

woodsrunner

359 is a very good saw. I have one and its a great mid size saw. pretty good power and not too heavy. I like mine very much.

Scott

nas

I just found out the saw has been sold :(.  At $300 for a year old saw it was too good to last.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Don K

Yep! :-\ You missed a good one there. Next time buy it first then ask questions later. ;)

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Cooter

Does anyone know what parts on the 359 keep it from being a pro saw rather than homeowner?  I know the muffler is a E-tech, but would swapping out or modding the muffler bring it up to the XP level?  The 357XP seems like a direct competitor with the 359.  It's a couple cc's smaller, but makes .5HP more power.  It also costs about $150 more!  Do the XPs have two piston rings rather than one, or beefier bearings or what exactly?  The 357's performance seems impressive on paper, but in the real world can a user feel the extra .5HP, and actually expect longer life from the saw?

woodsrunner

Saw Troll should be along shortly to answer that!

Scott

Meadows Miller

Gday

I love Mine had it for about 3 years and have done about 1000 cords with it in pine falling a h/wood firewood  with out any dramas i run a 18 bar on mine  ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Cooter

Another question.  Does the 359 have an outboard clutch like the 357XP?  Does it need a .325 chain, or will it take a 3/8?

Don K

I use a 20 inch bar with 3/8 on mine.

Don

Cut4fun

I could tell you the difference in the 357xp and 359  ;). But then sawtroll wouldnt have nothing to do  :D.  So I will give him a day or two to hopefully get back with you.

Maineloggerkid

I don't know the real difference between the 359 and 357xp, but I know you can tell it.

I have ran both and the 357xp seems to turn up more and rip through the wood.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

woodsrunner

Quote from: Cooter on November 11, 2009, 07:58:24 PM
Another question.  Does the 359 have an outboard clutch like the 357XP?  Does it need a .325 chain, or will it take a 3/8?

It does have an outboard clutch with a rim sprocket and mine runs 3/8 chain.

Scott

Thank You Sponsors!