iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My $40 Jonsered 2171

Started by celliott, June 30, 2015, 04:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celliott

Few months back, saw (hehe :D ) a Jonsered 2171 listed on craigslist for $40, didn't run. I jumped on that FAST!
Met the guy, saw was locked up tight. Said he thought it was straight gassed early in it's life, then ran some more on mix. I bought it.  8) 
Expected to probably replace the cylinder. Opened it up and found a piston that certainly wasn't straight gassed, a cylinder in fine condition, and this-  :o

Big end bearing in the crank disintegrated! A piece of the bearing was preventing the saw from turning over once it reached TDC, and it couldn't go back against the starter, so it was "locked up". With the condition of the piston and cylinder being so good, I'd guess that it was a factory defective crank maybe? Thoughts?
The general condition of the saw (minus the crank) led me to believe this was a very low hour saw. I don't think it's had more than 10 tanks of fuel ran through it. Still had the stickers on the bottom of the tank. This is a 2003 model saw, too.
Well, I got a used crank for cheap, got some nachi bearings, a seal\gasket set, and threw it together. Used an OEM 371 piston with a new caber ring. It got the works- gaskets, seals, carb kit, fuel line, filter. Once I got it all together I used a husky 266 exhaust deflector and made up a dual port muffler.
Here's the end product. I'm pleased   :)

It's in pretty darn good shape. The black paint they use on Jonsered handlebars seems like the new Husqvarna silver- it flakes off if you look at it wrong. But hey, paint doesn't cut wood  ;D And this saw will cut wood, not live out life on a shelf  :D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

celliott

And a short video to prove that yes, it really does work  :D
Red spruce, semi skip oregon chisel chain with about 1\4 life left, and an 8 tooth sprocket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW-Z9nxJ5FM
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

sawguy21

You made out like a bandit with that one.  ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

celliott

Quote from: sawguy21 on June 30, 2015, 05:51:36 PM

Indeed  ;D
Briefly thought about flipping it. Around here, a 2171 in that condition could probably bring $500-600 local sale without much trouble. Get a return of more than 4x my investment? Nah, keeping it  8)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

AdkStihl

Looks more like the affects of 50:1 or leaner to me
J.Miller Photography

celliott

Quote from: AdkStihl on June 30, 2015, 10:38:44 PM
Looks more like the affects of 50:1 or leaner to me

I don't know. Think 50:1 would do that in just a few tanks? Bearings were fine too. Maybe dino oil at amsoil ratio? Everything else looked good. As good as it could after being run with that crank anyway.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kellysguy

I got my '03 365 in a similar state, perfect piston and cylinder, burnt rod big end. In my case it was a well used saw that seems to have been over rev'ed with a dull chain. Mine was free with extra bars, chains and tools but I'm still jealous.  :D

dougand3

Super deal and good job on rebuild!
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

sawguy21

I would not expect a lean mix to take out the bottom end yet leave the p&c unmarked. Possibly a quality control issue or over revving. Either way, it's good for you.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

celliott

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 01, 2015, 11:43:43 AM
I would not expect a lean mix to take out the bottom end yet leave the p&c unmarked. Possibly a quality control issue or over revving. Either way, it's good for you.

Yeah, I didn't think it was fuel related. Over rev sounds possible too.
It is good, otherwise it would be another 2171 that was half beat to death, and I probably wouldn't have got it.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

kellysguy

Quote from: celliott on July 01, 2015, 03:44:08 PM
It is good, otherwise it would be another 2171 that was half beat to death, and I probably wouldn't have got it.

Wouldn't have gotten it otherwise at $40?!?!?

You're obviously a man with a profound sense of value.   ;D

clww

Great find and rebuild. 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

celliott

Quote from: kellysguy on July 01, 2015, 07:26:27 PM
Quote from: celliott on July 01, 2015, 03:44:08 PM

Wouldn't have gotten it otherwise at $40?!?!?

You're obviously a man with a profound sense of value.   ;D

Still woulda bought it for $40 if it was missing half the plastic and the crank was poking through the bottom of the case  :D

But I meant that if it never grenaded, it would probably either still be running somewhere or trashed, and I wouldn't have had the chance to buy it.

And thanks for the compliments everyone, I am happy with the saw.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

SawTroll

Quote from: celliott on June 30, 2015, 08:30:43 PM
Quote from: sawguy21 on June 30, 2015, 05:51:36 PM

Indeed  ;D
Briefly thought about flipping it. Around here, a 2171 in that condition could probably bring $500-600 local sale without much trouble. Get a return of more than 4x my investment? Nah, keeping it  8)

Surely you are keeping it - very nice saw!  8) 8)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!