iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Market for pine logs in middle or western TN?

Started by TN Woodman, February 28, 2019, 09:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TN Woodman

I've got a few acres of pine trees that REALLY need to be harvested. However, I can't find any mills here in middle TN who will buy pine logs. Does anyone have any ideas about an alternative method of selling them?

dsroten

yI'm in western NC and we have a pretty decent market for pine, but you'll need to be more specific as to species.  White pine, yellow pine, lob, etc.  Markets for some are better than others

Southside

What size are your trees?  Pulp, Chip-n-saw, saw timber buyers - all look for different specs so it helps to also know what you have before trying to market it.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

stavebuyer

Hankins Forest Products used to have a yard in Paris, TN that bought pine pulp and sawlogs but its been several years since I bought any timber in West TN and don't know if they still run that yard.

TN Woodman

Thanks for the responses. These are Lob pines. They're fully mature. I'm guessing that the diameter is 12 to 24" and their heights are 40 to 50 ft.

My understanding is that the mills that used to purchase pines closed down in the Great Recession around 2008 and haven't re-opened since then. I've made a few calls and haven't gotten any interest yet.

Woodpecker52

Contact your county forester or consulting forester in area.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

TN Woodman

Thanks. I'm already using a forester and he's saying that there's no market for the pine logs right now in TN. I'm looking for other ways to possibly sell them rather than through his logging crew. 

I thought that local Mennonite or Amish communities might like to harvest them and mill the wood for building?

I don't know. I'm just looking for some out-of-the-box ideas at this point. I have no idea when (or if) the market for pine logs will turn around.

Thanks

Ron Scott

Any market for cabin logs? The Amish are always looking for them here.
~Ron

mike_belben

Savage sawmill on bill carter mountain road in north sparta was 20cents/bf last time i got the list.  Not sure where youre at. 
Praise The Lord

jonnywood

There is a mill in Ethridge that pays 35 and ton

Magicman

@jonnywood  it's good to see you wake up from your nap.   smiley_sleeping  Welcome back.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!