iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Problems with a MS261C

Started by Mr_Meyrick, March 01, 2015, 10:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Meyrick

Greetings all

This is my first post here and I wonder if someone has some advice on what to do with an uncooperative Stihl MS261C.

I work almost daily with six lovely (They aren't mine, I just take care of them) Stihl MS261C chainsaws and working with them is a joy every time. Two of them aren't so lovely however. They start fine and two or three pulls is usually enough the get them going even when the temperature creeps down to - 35-40 C. But after just a couple of seconds on idle the engine shuts itself off. I start it again, this time it is a little tougher but it no biggie, same thing happens. The engine is just running a second or two after the third start and trying a fourth time is just hopeless.

So I took out the spark plug to have a look and I noticed that the plug is a bit wet. Sadly (for this problem) these chainsaws has the fancy M-tronic system and there is no carburetor to fiddle with. Do someone else has (or had) similar problems?

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

I'll be listening, but can't give you any pointers. But will ask if the spark-arrester screen is clean?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sablatnic

Check the spark plug, and make sure it is a resistor plug. I have seen that noise from a non resistor plug can make the computer deliver too much fuel.

Or it could be the needle valve in the carburettor flooding the engine.

Mr_Meyrick

Thanks for the tips! The spark plug is of the right kind and the spark arrester screen is also a-ok. Seems like the problem lies deeper in the machine then.

beenthere

So, do you need the M-tronic's tuned by the computer? 

Have heard that is a big expense item... either to get the dealer to do it or bigger $$ to get the computer and DIY (prolly Stihl won't sell it to anyone but a dealer).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bilge Rat

Try to recalibrate the saw. it should be in the manual.
You crank it on a certain setting letting it run by itself for 90 seconds or something like that then shut it off. You then restart it.  This is a simple operation and every owner should know how to do it.

If you can't find this procedure or the saw will not run long enough take it to the dealer.
Tell the dealer to check/replace the mixture solonoid on the carb.  They are the common cause of your problem. It is easy  to replace and not real expensive.
Once replaced with the current version you should be good to go.

The M tronic is a fine setup that works well.
Me i like my tach and screwdriver, i'm old and a digital incompetent.

Magicman

No help, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Mr_Meyrick.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mr_Meyrick

Thanks for the help people. I had a hunch that it wouldn't be something one could fix yourself. Time to go to the local 100 $ /hour dealer. :(

hawkins111

What about a frosted plug. With those low temps the plug can fire and then frost over, flooding after that. Clean the plug and cylinder. Warm the saw and try again.

Tom

ehp

take the saw back to your dealer , they can put it on the scanner and that should be free as its not your fault that it screwed up , sounds like either you got weak spark and if so if its not the sparkplug which you should change any how just to see if it thats , then sounds like maybe your coil is breaking down which should be covered by stihl . I also could be the m tronic also is feeding to much fuel which can be reset by the dealer like I said at the start

SlimJim

Quote from: Mr_Meyrick on March 09, 2015, 05:20:21 PM
Thanks for the help people. I had a hunch that it wouldn't be something one could fix yourself. Time to go to the local 100 $ /hour dealer. :(

Howdy-

It's happening! Welcome to the world of SOL take it to the dealer, the day's over, dang.

Versus-
Pull the carb fix it and go-30 minutes, day saved.

Sorry-hope your saw is OK and running soon, just ranting.

Stihlnorm

IF THE SAW IS SHOWING SIGNS OF FLOODING ( WET SPARK PLUG )

FIRST TRY A RECAL - START SAW LET IT WARM UP, SHUT IT DOWN, BAR AND CHAIN ON, CHAIN BRAKE OFF, START SAW IN START OR CHOKE POSITION, DO NOT TOUCH THROTTLE AT ALL DURING RECAL, LET IT IDLE FOR 90 SECONDS, TURN SAW OFF, GO PUT IT TO WORK.

IF NO BETTER OR IT DIES WHILE DOING THE RECAL THE MOST LIKELY ISSUE WOULD BE THE FUEL SOLENOID ON THE CARB.  IF SAW IS WITHIN WARRANTY PERIOD YOU SHOULD HAVE IT REPLACED BY ANY STIHL DEALER. OUTSIDE WARRANTY $25 BUCKS AND AWAY YOU GO..

Thank You Sponsors!