iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

logging tools you wear.

Started by doc henderson, February 12, 2021, 08:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

ok, lets talk hats, gloves, coats, pants, boots, suspenders, and even socks and underwear if you like!  just no "naked cowboy" pics please.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

I have made the switch to the expensive undies.  When we went to Philmont, the backwoods places sold the 30 bucks a pair fast dry, ear them for four days in a row undies.  We now use the Duluth stuff.  it is about 20 bucks a pair.  the theory was take 2 pair, wash and the pair you just took off in the stream, they dry in 15 minutes and you are good to go.  they do not strech out like tighty whities, that require hot water and a hot dryer to pull back in shape.  remember when they had the commercials "boxers or briefs".  the joke was that they asked Bob Dole that question, and after some thought, he replied, "Depends".
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Armachillos baby!!! Keep 'em on ice!! Worth every penny, and the colors are fabulous.  :D  No more fire down below.  Also have gone to Deluth carpenter ball room pants, $50 bucks but a pair will last two or more years, maybe start to get some frays after a year, but that's sawmill and farm work daily.  The cheap TSC $16 pants always blew out in a couple of weeks. When it comes to work clothes, you get what you pay for.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

I wear sketchers to my day job.  they look nice, are leather uppers, function and feel like a tennis shoe.  If I ruin a pair at work (spare you the details)  I always have a new pair in the box at home.  At home in the shop, I wear redwings 8 inch with a composite sole.  they have a softer sole than would work in harsh conditions, and the uppers are soft enough out of the box, that no break in is required. Off work, I wear these all day long.  bough a pair of logger once, but made my heels ache.  I put the "bed coating" toe protector on them after I get them.  it protects the leather from abrasion, not you toes.  My buddy got a pair, but did not do the black stuff, and now has a hole in the leather over the toe.  Redwing will often fix stuff for free, and if you drop them off, they will water proof, and re do the toe stuff for free.  If you put the toe stuff on.  they are just over 200 buck.  they have replace all the eyelets in a pair that were cutting laces, and made a patch inside boot that I had worn through the thinsolate.  I have gone through about 4 pair in 18 years.

doc henderson

not saw proof, but everyday in the shop, I wear the Carhart double knee logger pants.  I have one pair with the suspender buttons,  I always wear a belt, and the brass makes me sore due to my Dunlops disease.  they have a slot at the bottom, so you can put a thin knee pad inside.  about 44 bucks on amazon

tawilson

Wrist surgery years ago and the resulting arthritis has made keeping my left hand warm and functioning in the cold a problem. To keep the wrist covered I got a pair of Kevlar arm gauntlets and not only do they keep the wrist warm but my entire upper body. I can wear lighter shirts and coats and it's been pretty cold around here. 
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

DeerMeadowFarm

I use a Husqvarna Technical Forest Helmet. 

Gloves are tough for me. My hands are big. XXL is minimum and when I find XXL work gloves I buy all of them in stock. No particular brands, just whatever I can find that fits. I like having leather at least on the palms when handling cable.

For a coat, I have an old lightweight Husqvarna jacket that I'll wear when it's really cold. Most of the time in winter I'll just have a sweatshirt and maybe a Carhart vest on.

I wear Husqvarna Technical Forestry pants or I use Labonville full wrap chaps depending what I'm doing; if sawing and skidding I wear the pants, if using a clearing saw or cutting from a pile (like after work for an hour or so), or if I need to cut up one thing quickly like a storm damaged tree I'll wear the chaps.

Boots: If it's really snowy I wear the rubber Husqvarna chainsaw boots, all other times I wear Oregon Fiordland Class 2 boots.

The suspenders on my Husqvarna pants are also Husqvarna brand.

I wear cotton socks in the warmer months and a light wool sock when it's colder. My feet rarely get cold.

Cotton underwear in the summer, and I have 3 different weaight thermal underwear for winter work depending on activity and temperature.

Skeans1

Quote from: doc henderson on February 12, 2021, 08:46:34 AM
not saw proof, but everyday in the shop, I wear the Carhart double knee logger pants.  I have one pair with the suspender buttons,  I always wear a belt, and the brass makes me sore due to my Dunlops disease.  they have a slot at the bottom, so you can put a thin knee pad inside.  about 44 bucks on amazon
Need a set of suspenders?
Doc you're paying 44 for Carhartt double knee loggers? Last sets I bought before they discontinued them was 32 each Keys have been around 30 and Prison Blues are 27.

doc henderson

around the house (shop and sawmill) is a short sleeved t-shirt, and a sweatshirt that comes on and off as needed.  I have a lined Carhart jacket, but rarely wear it when I work as it restricts movement a bit.  nice canvas.

Skeans1

Carhartt or Key double fronts loggers some with extra bachelor buttons inside. Suspenders when falling timber with a nasty old bar pad. For a hat there's only one option a full brim aluminum Skull Bucket not quite as nice as the old Mac T's but a lot better then plastic. Boots just depend Nicks or Wesco on which job I'm doing and if it's super sloppy it's Muck boot territory. For upper wear it's all high viz anymore no more hickories.

doc henderson

Quote from: Skeans1 on February 12, 2021, 09:01:02 AM

I have a pair.  they are Stihl brand.  they have leather ends.  I think I just have not worn them enough to get in the habit.  the leather is new and tough to get over the brass buttons.  I should try again.  sorry to use the words brass and pair in the same response.  "I should have known better"   :D :D :D   8) 8) 8)

doc henderson

my buttons are on the outside.  might be more comfy if I loose 10 pounds.  they dig in wear my belly has "done lopped" over my belt.  some of the others come with the buttons to install if wanted.

doc henderson

I get the mechanix brand gloves, as I can still do stuff with my hands.  they are thin with leather over the wear surfaces, and rubber ribs on the back for impact protection.  it still hurts to hit a finger with a hammer stapler... no need to ask me how I know.   :(  used to buy them at lowes at 30 bucks.  online camo for 22 bucks.  same gloves.

Skip

Wild Ass jeans  double and singles ,wear like iron . Just got a pair of Prison Blues verdict still out  ;) . So far so good .Hickory long sleeve zipper front .

Skeans1

Quote from: doc henderson on February 12, 2021, 09:10:20 AM
Quote from: Skeans1 on February 12, 2021, 09:01:02 AM

I have a pair.  they are Stihl brand.  they have leather ends.  I think I just have not worn them enough to get in the habit.  the leather is new and tough to get over the brass buttons.  I should try again.  sorry to use the words brass and pair in the same response.  "I should have known better"   :D :D :D   8) 8) 8)

Quote from: doc henderson on February 12, 2021, 09:16:49 AM
my buttons are on the outside.  might be more comfy if I loose 10 pounds.  they dig in wear my belly has "done lopped" over my belt.  some of the others come with the buttons to install if wanted.
If you didn't have a set I was going to look around I might have a set of good used suspenders I could ship out. The outer buttons for suspenders are bachelor buttons some pants on the west coast have those buttons on the inside for internal chaps.

Old saw fixer

For shoes I wear the offshore made Red Wings, probably the same as Doc H.  They are daily wear, I have two pair and alternate daily.  Upper wear is a t shirt and sweatshirt as needed.  Ordinary blue jeans below, with Stihl chaps as needed.  Stihl plastic helmet or ball cap.  Like DeerMeadowFarm, gloves are a problem size wise.  I always end up with a hole in a finger before the rest of the glove is worn out.  XXL gloves, size 13 feet.  Our regional name for Doc H's Dunlop's disease is Dunlap's.  I've Dunlapped over also.  

I stay in when the weather is cold and nasty, I realize most of you don't have that luxury.  I'd like to try some logging boots, and Skeans1's aluminum helmet sounds interesting.  My main interest in my woods is TSI, so what I acquire would have to aid in that.  I would also like to go to suspenders, to ease the symptoms of Dunlap's.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Iwawoodwork

Old saw fixer.  I have had the problem of a finger of a good leather glove wearing an hole while the rest is still good, I have been extending their life by cutting the leather finger off a donor glove and using a coating of GOOP on\in both fingers and sliding the donor finger over the worn finger while it is on the hand, once I have it positioned then take the glove off and let dry. Works ok. and  extends the life  of the glove. Did I mention I'm thrifty 

trapper

Goatskin gloves from the walmart garden section when they go from 15$ to 3 or 5 in fall clearance.  comfortable and wear good handling wood in warm weather.  Always wear out the left one as i use a pulp hook in my right. Havn't found the right ones for winter. Where to get wide shoes?  Redwing king toe 4e are a bit narrow.  Wide brimmed hat in summer so I dont have to get more chopped or froze off my ears by doc.  Long underwear from sportsman guide.  The ones that look like bib overalls . Cant wear seperate top and bottom  as I have no hips and docs dunlap disease.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Skeans1

Showa Atlas 451 gloves in the cold weather they work pretty good.

doc henderson

Quote from: Skeans1 on February 12, 2021, 09:26:00 AM

If you didn't have a set I was going to look around I might have a set of good used suspenders I could ship out. The outer buttons for suspenders are bachelor buttons some pants on the west coast have those buttons on the inside for internal chaps.
that is sure a nice gesture.  thanks.  If you had a pair with your company name on them great, but I hate to have you go to the trouble, since I am not sure if I will acquire the desire to use them.  thanks again!

barbender

One problem I have with suspenders is that whenever I wear them the ladies really seem to take notice and my wife gets jealous😂 My favorite pair of work pants right now are some Dimex brand made for Ponsse cargo pants. They are so much more comfortable then jeans and breathe more when it's hot out too. For light gloves I go to Home Depot and get a 3 pack of synthetic leather ones they have for $10. Insulated work gloves, I wore Kinco pigskin for years but they are pushing $20 a pair now, so I switched to the Wells Lamont version that is $11-$12. They aren't waterproof at all so I keep a few pair with. 
Too many irons in the fire

Tacotodd

For work gloves I really like the Stihl timber sports series but my problem with ANY gloves are that I have a need to get them to fit snugly. Those fit the bill, except I have unusually long fingers and I continue to blow out the middle fingers on both hands  :embarassed:  They aren't water resistant but do offer some heat retention without being obnoxiously hot. And they don't claim chainsaw resistant but they do offer some protection from normal cuts and, gulp, blisters. I know, cry me a river. It's a good thing that I don't normally get blisters. These have extremely good manual dexterity, they feel like goatskin. I like to be able to feel what I'm doing.

As far as the boots, military surplus, inexpensive and tough as nails. The pair before now, 5yrs of daily wear. 

Chaps, Stihl because my Husky guy could only find 1 length but not so with the others.
Trying harder everyday.

doc henderson

Quote from: Tacotodd on February 12, 2021, 02:49:17 PM
For work gloves I really like the Stihl timber sports series but my problem with ANY gloves are that I have a need to get them to fit snugly. Those fit the bill, except I have unusually long fingers and I continue to blow out the middle fingers on both hands  :embarassed: 

maybe try to not use the "middle finger" so much! :o   :)   :D 

Tacotodd

8) Doc, that's funny, if it's only true!

Seriously though, I pull the gloves tight tight to get the bottom between my fingers and after about 2 weeks of daily wear for 6hrs at a time, that fingers had it. I'm going to try a XL next time and "fingers" crossed they're going to "work out" better.  spidey-smiley teeter_totterWe'll see
Trying harder everyday.

thecfarm

Nothing fancy or name brand here. Well Viking rubber boots, if I am outside here, you will find them on my feet. Even planting the garden. Clothes are nothing fancy either. Winter wear is a cooler shirt, t shirt, long john top and two big sweatshirts, as least 2X,for top side gear.  When I bend over I don't want no exposed skin sticking out at 15°.Than long johns bottoms and lined parts. 2 pair of socks, don't matter if there is snow on the ground or 90°, 2 pair all the time. 
Summer time you will see me in a cooler shirt, again at least a 2X, than jeans. I only wear a extra large, just need room to move around. A hat all the time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!