iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any of you collect or use old logging tools?

Started by jocco, January 25, 2016, 02:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Quote from: beenthere on January 27, 2016, 10:41:42 PM
Jeff has posted pics of his in the past. Others have too.
Not a common item to find out here. We have piles of old tools, saws, antique farm stuff but have only found 1 of them.

Offthebeatenpath

Just saw this thread as I came in for early lunch- we plan on testing out our old "dynamite wedge" today in fact.  I'll see if I can get a video.

My family has run an auction business for many decades, so my basement is full of axes, crosscuts, peaveys, etc. I like to fix them up and get em back into hands that will use them. Right now I have a plethora of decent peaveys if anyone is looking for one...
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Corley5

All my stuff is old.  Even my Logrites have been around for a while  ;D  We've got several old crosscut saws, cant hooks, many axes etc. in buildings around the place.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Quote from: BargeMonkey on January 27, 2016, 09:57:27 PM
My dad hunted down a "dynamite wedge", which was a popular thing here back when the tannerys where going, the hemlock bark was used and the monsters where split with the wedge to get them on the saw carriage. I will have to get a picture of it, but it does work. Drive it in the log, couple scoops of gun powder and a fuse, light it and RUN.  :D

Actually, they are normally referred to as a Powder Wedge. I still have one in my collection that is new with the label still on it and I have the original literature and hardware receipt for it's purchase. Here is a picture of it and it's display copy of the liturature where it is displayed in the "Forestry Forum Museum" ;)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ljohnsaw

So were the powder wedges a one-time use?  I cannot make out the instructions.  Can you describe the use?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

beenthere

Put another powder charge in (and a fuse) and they are set to go again. IIRC
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

But...  Do you drive it in with a sledge, hitting the red part?  Somehow, I don't see that holding up.  I take it you put black powder in the opening on the wedge?  Or is the wedge shot out from the red chamber like a cannon?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 28, 2016, 04:00:46 PM
But...  Do you drive it in with a sledge, hitting the red part?  Somehow, I don't see that holding up.  I take it you put black powder in the opening on the wedge?  Or is the wedge shot out from the red chamber like a cannon?

You would load the powder into the wedge, then drive it into the log using a sledge I would imagine. you load and pack the powder in through the port in the wedge blade. That is also where the blast is emitted from.  It would hold up certainly from the driving in, as it is very very heavy. hold up to the blast? Dunno. :)

They were reusable if you could find them. :D   There was an "optional" cap  and chain you could purchase so you could secure it to the log to help keep it from leaving the scene.

It was certainly an unnecessary tool, but they were sold in many styles and are HIGHLY collectible. I doubt another unused one of the style I have exists outside of mine, and the one that I sold several years ago.

I say unnecessary because its a simple matter of either cutting a slit, or boring a hole in the log and packing with powder to blow one. One does not really need the wedge.

Jeff

jocco

Jeff for what its worth my father used to tell me, back when, they used to bore into a stick or short log and load it with powder, cap it off and light it :o This split tough logs and also was common for kindling. You could buy dynamite at at stores for stump/beaver dam removal. He always said they were pretty selective about who they sold it to!!!! ::) Guess it was just a different method of doing things. Also when I was a kid it was not uncommon to find dynamite/powder in old buildings!!  smiley_devil

Quote from: Jeff on January 28, 2016, 04:53:10 PM

You may check out but you will never leave

BargeMonkey

I've got to digo ors out and post a picture, looks nothing like yours Jeff, ours looks like a big pencil with spiral grooves on the last few inches

loggah

The 2 i have just have a sharpened tapered end and you drive the unit itself into the end of the log,then touch it off. works best if you put another log,dozer blade or excavator bucket against it to keep it from flying.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

51cub

I collect anything I'm interested in. The plan is always to make it usable again. I have a couple crosscut saws, and one or two old chainsaws around. My big problem is the same one I imagine everybody has. I need more room
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

timberlinetree

Those are some neat tools! Thanks for sharing. I have a few old hand saws and 20-30 old chain saws. I just started collecting obsolete snow removal tools from New England: 3 no running snowblowers and a snow plow. :D
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!