iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sapling pine

Started by moodnacreek, February 10, 2024, 01:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

Had to slow down this morning sawing w. pine as the inner bark layer is rolling between the slab and the log. The logs think they are still standing and are putting on the new growth. Do the small band saws do this?

Ianab

Getting pitch buildup on the blade? Extra stickyness might do that?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

moodnacreek

No pitch, in fact I have never had that problem on the head saw. I only happens when the pine starts to grow especially with young smooth 'sapling bark'. While sawing some of the inner layer under the bark gets pulled into the kerf forcing the saw away from the cant while taking off the slab. The next cut , the jacket board will be too thick. In an old brochure for Cornell mud saw they claimed it's use would be good for the sapling pine sawing problem in the spring. It is if you cut deep enough.

Don P

It will push the swingblade off line and into a motor stall pretty fast if I don't catch it and let it clear. Not much diameter and you have to slow down for it, what could be better  ffcheesy.

barbender

I've never had the issue with the band saw. Should we get one ordered up for you, Moodna? ffcheesy
Too many irons in the fire

Don P

We dropped one smaller pine today and then the wind got up again so we just sawed it and cleaned up a bit. I just went down and got a few pics of the stringy inner bark. It is really a problem on the opening cut after that it usually isn't too much trouble.

The sun is on the Nat'l Forest ridge in the background, some little craft sassafrass bycatch for boxes beside the pile;

I think Doug will enjoy this one, look at my chips. The first time I sawed with this I wondered what was going on. Well, the blade is almost always buried in cut, so the perimeter is noodling a lot.

moodnacreek

Quote from: barbender on February 14, 2024, 09:53:22 AMI've never had the issue with the band saw. Should we get one ordered up for you, Moodna? ffcheesy
Yeah, a vertical head rig, 8" saw. Also will need a rosser head debarker plus a horizontal band resaw with run around system. And a trip to the fountain of youth ffsmiley

moodnacreek

Thats the inner bark that in the spring causes the problem, thanks, Don

moodnacreek

I think popple does the same thing [it doesn't grow here]. Up north they can't use certain brands of carbide teeth because the popple inner bark wrapping around the stand all part and they have to stop and clean the teeth.

barbender

I wonder if basswood would do the same? It has to be about the stringent bark there is, and the fiber is actually fairly steong.

moodnacreek

Never cut basswood in the growth season that I remember, we don't have a lot of it.

barbender

When we had the "big one" windstorm in 2012, I had a lot of basswood snapped off or uprooted. The ones that snapped off 20' up, left a completely stripped trunk as the bark pulled off with the top. 

Inner Basswood bark was a favored fiber for cordage for Natives, because of its strength.

moodnacreek

I have never seen trees break off and strip the bark. There are so many situations in the woods a life time won't see it all. Try to tell someone woodchucks climb trees or that a female coyote will come out and lead you away in denning season.  In extremely wet springs and summer bark slips much longer. We had another wet summer and the w. pine I am sawing now is at least as heavy as oak. I have seen complete stands of red pine snap off from ice. Up at camp there is a line from the river to the mountain of balsam dead.  

Don P

Another common name used in North America is basswood, derived from
bast, the name for the inner bark
Bast fibre - Wikipedia

My mind went the same way, that is bast (fibrous inner bark) in my hand in the picture which made me think of why basswood is called basswood.

Old Greenhorn

In Norway it's called Linden , or Lind in the old norsk, which is the root of my last name "Lindtveit". "Tveit" is old norsk for "way" or road which is now shortened to "vei" or way. So my name means the Lind Road, which was actually the name of the farm my Grandfather came from. There was a row of Basswood trees leading up the road to the farm house. But I digress...
 That Basswood nark is something unique. I had a couple of basswood logs I got from Barge a couple of years ago, about 24" diameter. The bark on those logs was a BEAR! They were not winter cut and on one log I went down it with and axe and split the bark for the length of the log and although the bark separated from the log just fine, peeling it off needed diesel power which I lacked. Had I had a machine, I could have stripped the log in one sheet of bark, but by hand I stripped off half the diameter, then split it off with and axe and did the other half. Yes, that cambium id very fibrous stuff. I still have tufts of it floating around the yard. You could build a shed with that outer bark, tough stuff. Probably why the indigenous folks used it on their lodges. Great shingles.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

moodnacreek

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 15, 2024, 10:26:37 PMIn Norway it's called Linden , or Lind in the old norsk, which is the root of my last name "Lindtveit". "Tveit" is old norsk for "way" or road which is now shortened to "vei" or way. So my name means the Lind Road, which was actually the name of the farm my Grandfather came from. There was a row of Basswood trees leading up the road to the farm house. But I digress...
 That Basswood nark is something unique. I had a couple of basswood logs I got from Barge a couple of years ago, about 24" diameter. The bark on those logs was a BEAR! They were not winter cut and on one log I went down it with and axe and split the bark for the length of the log and although the bark separated from the log just fine, peeling it off needed diesel power which I lacked. Had I had a machine, I could have stripped the log in one sheet of bark, but by hand I stripped off half the diameter, then split it off with and axe and did the other half. Yes, that cambium id very fibrous stuff. I still have tufts of it floating around the yard. You could build a shed with that outer bark, tough stuff. Probably why the indigenous folks used it on their lodges. Great shingles.
spruce bark makes good siding. [for a hut]

moodnacreek

No problem sawing pine this morning, the logs are starting to freeze again.

Thank You Sponsors!