iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slab furniture

Started by tyb525, October 01, 2009, 10:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

A couple dropped by this evening to buy some barn beams, and to have me mill a few of their old beams into lumber.

Well we did that pretty quick, so they asked about other lumber that I had, so I showed them all of what I had, including the crotches and odd pieces and slabs. Well they said that they figured they out to have several coffee/end tables made from some crotch pieces and slabs that I showed them.

So, my question is, what are some good websites to start as far as making this kind of custom furniture??
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Meadows Miller

Gday Ty

sounds like things are coming along well Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8) heres afew sites you can try for a start  ;) the peice of timber and the type of furniture will usually tell you the type of joint you will need  ;) just let me know if you need any help mate  ;) ;D

heartlandlogstructures.com.au   (  Dads site  ;) ;D )

mullumbimbywoodworks.com.au

slabhappy.com.au

rodmurray.com.au

fabslabtimber.com.au

thewoodguys.com.au

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Lud

Good stuff, Chris.

Know your customer.  If they're 50-70 , got some wealth, etc.,  they know George Yamaguchi's work.  He passed but his daughter is still running the shop.  Do a search on him for style.

To me it looks like a few butterflys and minimal edge softening but it gets a hell of a mark up! :P :P
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

SwampDonkey

Search around the forum some Tyb, there are a lot of examples with photos floating around. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

raycon

Newman Gee's knee furniture is pretty cool.
His website is gone as far as I can tell (Newman passed away in 2006 after a logging accident) but here are a couple photos I
took in 2005 or 2006 I think. From the Woodenboat show in Newport in RI.

Its to bad the website is not up. He had photo's of the milling process and collections of his knees.   
Lot of stuff..

Brad_S.

Sorry to nit pick, Lud, but the man you are thinking of is George Nakashima. Not my taste but I sure appreciate the craftsmanship.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Ironwood

Met the both the fellow who passed and his brother (the current Newman's owner) a few years back , great guys.(Drove Ford's too as I recall). Fun products. I just was talking to some fellow builders this fall, his brother is said to have "bought" the co. from the widow (who know though).

Thanks Brad, I didn't need to nit pick then.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Larry

Required reading material whether you like it or not.

The Soul of The Tree by George Nakashima.

Slab's for tables are always money makers...every time FWW has an article I get calls for slabs.  Last time was not long ago and I ran out...helps to get reprints of articles to have on hand...one that comes to mind is Jimmy Carters slab table.

Lonnie Bird's articles help to sell the crotch walnut for secretariats and spice boxes.  Forget about board foot pricing...flame walnut goes high.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Meadows Miller

Gday

The soul of a tree is a bloody good read with plenty of info and some dang nice pics ive had my copy since i was about 10 and have a flick through it al the time   ;) ;D 8)

The Soul of a Tree

1st edition 1981 First paper back edtition 1988
Distributed in the United States through Kodansha International Inc , 114 Fifth avenue, New Yourk N.Y. 10011

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Brad_S.

Reid,
I looked for you at the Adirondack Museum show. Saw your lumber and ad in town but never did make it to the museum grounds which is where you must have been.
Sure was some great rustic furniture at that show.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Ironwood

WOW,

if you were impressed in town you would have been blown away as up on the Museum grounds there are some of the best in country.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Lud

So ,  Brad, ... you're saying you've never seen Yamaguchi's work?

Nakashima..Yamaguchi.....easy mistake to make early in the morning.

People pick my nits all the time.  U can 2  :) :) :)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Ironwood

Yamgugchi, don't they make purses and hand bags?  ::)

Ironwood

tyb525

Thank you for the help guys! I'll post pictures of whatever I end up making.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thedeeredude

No wrong, she was an olympic figure skater and apparently built furniture and purses after the olympics. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!