iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic mill prices

Started by Bolson400, February 13, 2019, 03:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beavertooth

One thing to keep in mind if buying an older Woodmizer with setworks is that you cannot get any parts for setworks. You can only upgrade to AccuSet 2 for a $2800. I just talked to Woodmizer yesterday and that is what they told me. I was looking at an older mill for a friend of mine looking to buy one
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Bolson400

A little info and history on the B20 I looked at today. The owner bought it new in '07. I think he bought it in addition to his tree service. He ended up building a barn and a shed with it, then a couple years later a tree house. It has sat in the shed since the tree house, about 6 years. It has 134 hrs total. Its dirty from being in a farm shed, but seems to be in pretty good shape. The hydraulic hoses for the log loader had been laying on the ground till recently so they look a little rotted. All the others seem fine. It has a 30horse gas Kohler and a separate Briggs & Stratton for the hydraulics. The chains looked a little rusty, but i don't know if that matters much. It's not running because its sat for so long, but I'm sure with a little carburetor work it would be fine. He's asking $18,500. Also included is a sharpener that was bought with the mill but never used. I really have no idea what this mill is worth, but I'm sure he's not too far off on the price. Thanks for the help you guys have already given me. 

doc henderson

i would see what @Tom the Sawyer says, but that sound good based on the low hours.  The chain may look worse than it is, and these days I have gone to putting new carbs on instead of rebuild as it is usually about the same price, and then you have spare parts.  the sharpener and setters are about a thousand a piece.  If it has been on the market you could shoot and offer an see what you can get it for, and give yourself a little repair room.  I got my b2000 for 27 k 7 years ago, and now they are 39 +.  see what tom thinks but sounds like it is barely broke in, if it was cared for.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Tom the Sawyer

Bolson400,

That is low hours for that age mill but engine work (both?) and hose replacements are immediate needs (probably tires and a battery, too).  I would expect that wire brushing and lubricating the chains may be all that needs.  With a working sharpener, his price sounds fine for a working mill.  As is, $16,000-17,500 is more reasonable.    
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Beavertooth on March 02, 2019, 12:52:16 PMOne thing to keep in mind if buying an older Woodmizer with setworks is that you cannot get any parts for setworks. You can only upgrade to AccuSet 2 for a $2800. I just talked to Woodmizer yesterday and that is what they told me. I was looking at an older mill for a friend of mine looking to buy one
Beav,

Did you check on the price and availability for SimpleSet or is that an option instead of the fancier Accuset? I liked what I saw of Accuset but SS works good for me and it might be adequate for OP needs. I do swear by the setworks option and don't know if I'd even want to keep sawing without one.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bolson400

Thank you guys for all that insight. It's been very helpful. As far as negotiations go, I'm pretty bad. But if the mills not worth the full asking price how it sits, then I don't mind trying for less. I don't like being that guy who comes in with a low ball offer.

On another note, I found a TK 1600 that needs a little work too. It is a considerable amount cheaper. It does not have the log loader, but does apparently have the hydraulic log turner and log clamp (didn't know they came that way). I've not really seen anyone on here talk someone out of a larger mill to get a smaller mill, and it's in Texas. But man, that price tag is a good bit lower. He's asking around $10k

Magicman

Sawmill "bells and whistles" do much more than make noise.  ;D 

I can not imagine loosing a single one of them off of my sawmill.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

bolson, I think you have to look at your financial ability and your use for the mill.  If you found a fixer upper manual mill, you can start for pleasure and little jobs, maybe sell the working mill for the same or more than you paid for it to upgrade later (hopefully).  You are young and can wrestle with a log or two.  If it takes off you can look for more mill.  you will then be and experienced sawyer and know what you want and need, based on the business you  have developed.  good luck. a tk 1600 is 28k but has a hydraulic log loader.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!