iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A couple WM ?s

Started by thechknhwk, May 17, 2015, 10:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechknhwk

The zerk zapper from NAPA was a joke unless you like getting sprayed with ATF or grease.  So I learned another hard lesson....  If you want to get the zerks to take grease pull the pivot pins so you can force the hard deposit into the void where the pin was, then clean the chunk out and put the pin back in, voila, it takes grease again.  The hard part of this lesson was after I broke off two of the press in fittings and was in the process of drilling them out to tap them and put in threaded zerks, when I broke a drill bit off in one of the holes.  I moved on to the second hole got the zerk in successfully and then realized it still doesn't take grease...  That's when I decided to pull the pins as mentioned previously.

On an upnote, it appears I have my drive chain adjusted properly.

Ox

Making progress is always good even if it's the biggest pain in the butt ever.
Better than the one farmer I had to work with.  If the zerk didn't take grease, that part didn't get grease.   ::)
I hate broken bits.  I've found that a small punch will work to sometimes either back it out in reverse using the drill flutes as threads or to just break it up and get it out.  Good thing about threaded zerks is you can go clear up to 3/8" or so, so you have several chances to get it right.  If the hole keeps having to be enlarged you can still bush it up/down with pipe fittings until you get it.  If you have the room for the extension, that is.
Worse case scenario, you might have a huge hole that needs oil squirted in it frequently and just keep it plugged with something.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Dave Shepard

So you have upgraded your LT35 to a Super Hydraulic?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thechknhwk

I did get about half of it it out with a punch.  I kept alternating between the punch, small drill bit, and a 7/32" bit til I felt the punch slip into the hole where the grease goes through.

Ox

YOU GOT 'ER BY THE......ahem.  You've got it now!   ;)
My little attempt at a little joke told by a little old farmer back when I was little.  Can't say the whole thing, of course. 
Glad to hear you're making progress.  Funny how a little thing like a plugged up zerk can make everything come to a halt.  It shows you care about your equipment.  Kinda like that little snap ring that holds everything on a rotating shaft.  A $0.50 part keeps a $100,000 rig in the prickers and ding weeds.
An old saying, "If you don't think the little things matter, try sleeping with a mosquito in your room".
Might have been mentioned on the forum somewhere, I can't remember where I read it.  Just rings so true.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!