iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

American cars

Started by Den Socling, December 18, 2016, 04:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

In 2005 I was driving a Dodge pickup. As we drove past a Toyota dealer, my son convinced me to stop in and take a Tundra for a drive. I did and I bought it right there on the spot. Last year, there was no rust on the sheet metal but the frame was getting rusty. Toyota put a whole new frame under it for me for free. I thought that was mighty nice considering that it was 10 years old and has never been stored in a garage.

Magicman

Yugo, don't forget the Yugo.  The only vehicle that would double in value when you filled the gas tank.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

If the world was lit by Lucas, it would be dark.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ox

Den, how did you manage to get a whole new frame after 10 years?  When did this happen, in 2015?  I want a vehicle that gets a new frame every 10 years, then I wouldn't have to keep welding the frame on my old 1 ton.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

SwampDonkey

Toyota is well known for going above and beyond. The GM dealer would say, we can sell you a new vehicle.  A 10 year old Chev with 200,000 on it sells for $500, all kinds of them here behind people's houses gaining value. A 10 year old Tacoma with 200,000 is $6000 and sell fast. I got $8500 out of my old RAV. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pineywoods

There have been a few diamonds over the years. Remember studebaker ? I had a friend back in the 50's who drove a 53 studebaker on a sales route every day for years. He never changed the oil, change the filter and add a quart every 1,000 miles. Studebaker trucks were about as bullet proof as they come. I think what killed the line was a lousy dealer network. The merlin v12 aircraft engine that powered the supermarine spitfire and P51 mustang (mosquito bomber also) was designed by rolls royce, but mostly manufactured by packard motor car company in Indiana usa. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sawguy21

Those old Stude's were ugly (except for the early low boys), built like tanks but would run forever if one was not in a hurry. Such was life with my 59 Lark. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

fishpharmer

Quote from: Magicman on December 20, 2016, 09:32:41 AM
Yugo, don't forget the Yugo.  The only vehicle that would double in value when you filled the gas tank.  ;D

:D :D :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

fishpharmer

What is it about jeeps, just the traditional kind cj/yj/tj etc... ?
They seem to hold their value.   CJ owners ask for more than original new price.  The 2007-2012's don't, I read they are problem prone.   
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Den Socling

Ox, Toyota contacted me with a recall letter. I looked in the wheel wells and didn't see rust but they wanted to check it. I took it to the dealer, they took a quick look then said we want to put a new frame under it. I crawled under and looked at all of the stuff that was in the way and thought a new frame would be impossible. But I scheduled it to go in one day and I picked it up the next day with all new steel under it! Very nice company!

Kbeitz

My last studebaker...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Den Socling

Not much for emission standards, was it?  :D

Kbeitz

Quote from: Den Socling on December 20, 2016, 05:16:33 PM
Not much for emission standards, was it?  :D

Naa,,,  But it sure was fun... I think it was a studebaker Hawk.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Den Socling

It was a long time ago but, if I remember correctly, my older brother (by 6 years) had a garage friend who used to drag race a Hawk.

DelawhereJoe

You want to talk about worst motor ever, land rover discovery 3.9/4.0 v8. They would blow a head gasket ever 40k to 80k miles....I'd love to wear out a pair of steel toes shoes on the backside of who ever developed / designed that motor.....
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

caveman

My dad has a '57 Studebaker Golden Hawk.  It came from the factory in Indiana with a 289 ci super charged v-8.   

Caveman

Dave Shepard

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on December 20, 2016, 07:15:48 PM
You want to talk about worst motor ever, land rover discovery 3.9/4.0 v8. They would blow a head gasket ever 40k to 80k miles....I'd love to wear out a pair of steel toes shoes on the backside of who ever developed / designed that motor.....

Complaining about your repair bills is part of the Rover experience.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

We saw this beauty in Holland, Michigan this past July.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den Socling

Back in the 80's I bought my wife a Plymouth Voyager. I bought one with a Mitsubishi engine because, at the time, I thought Japanese engines were better. What it was good at was blowing head gaskets. A tiny distance between compressed engine gas and radiator antifreeze. It seemed like anybody should have seen a bad design.

sawguy21

Quote from: caveman on December 20, 2016, 07:29:33 PM
My dad has a '57 Studebaker Golden Hawk.  It came from the factory in Indiana with a 289 ci super charged v-8.   

8) That beauty is a rare model and worth a good dollar.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Den Socling

yeah I never saw anything like that one!

Magicman

Wonder what this DeLorean is worth?

Or my long ago gone 1959 pink Edsel convertible.   :-\

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on December 21, 2016, 07:29:28 AM

Wonder what this DeLorean is worth?

Or my long ago gone 1959 pink Edsel convertible.   :-\

I just appraised 2 Deloreans for a guy a couple months ago. On average about $32K
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Don P

I'll bet parts are fun.
we had a Pinto for several years, they had just gone to the 2.3 4 cylinder... well, half the cam got oil reliably  ::) I tried to sell it at under 100k but on the 3rd camshaft. I tried "Pinto", no calls, "Small ford", one call, "its a Pinto", they hung up. Finally traded it on a Datsun/Nissan pickup (remember the year they had both badges on them). That 84 heavy half was one heck of a truck. The Ranger was doing good, not that great of a drivers ed car.

gspren

Anyone own a Toyota FJ Cruiser? I'm looking at a 2014 and thinking serious about it, never owned a Toyota.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!