iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What makes you a Forester ? for jon12345

Started by nyforester, January 28, 2006, 11:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyforester

Forester Defined

"The forester is an amateur woodsman with a college education.   

There are two classes of foresters. One believes in keeping abreast of broad, dynamic movements of the present day that challenge the best efforts of the Nation's thinkers. The other class fights fires, builds truck trails, plants trees, handles timber sales, looks after millions of tourists and hunters, and wears old cloths.

Some foresters have offices, some live in cities, and some work in the woods. Lots of foresters spend practically their entire lives in God's great out-of-doors. They love to hunt and fish. They would too, if they only had the time.

It used to be said that a forester's best friends were his horse and his axe. Today a forester has little need for a horse and the safety officer is afraid he might cut himself with an axe. Years ago most every forester wore a big Stetson hat and carried a gun on his hip and a flask in his pocket. Nowadays big Stetson hats are worn only in the movies, and you hardly ever see a forester carry a gun.

An interesting fact about a forester's life is that he sees all kinds of people from hobos to millionaires. It is not uncommon for a forester to have the privilege of personally doing a millionaire a favor. However, there is no record of a millionaire ever doing a favor for a forester. But even if they don't make much money, its nice steady work and they have lots of fun.

Another satisfactory thing about a forester's career is that he is his own master, absolutely independent and answering to no one for his professional conduct. That is except to his various official superiors, his wife, ladies garden clubs, sportsman associations, nature lovers, newspaper editors, and local politicians.

Forestry is a very pleasant profession because it is so easy to get ahead. Many foresters graduate from college with only few debts and immediately acquire a job, and a wife. In about 10 year's time, in addition to the same job and the same wife, they have more debts and five kids.

That's why foresters are so happy. "

"Anonymous"

jon12345

QuoteAnother satisfactory thing about a forester's career is that he is his own master, absolutely independent and answering to no one

This is very appealing to me  :D

I started out wanting to go to college so I could become a forest ranger, but then I became very interested in forestry.  I loved being out in the woods, making observations - recording these observations was a little different story though  ::)

The forum has just driven my curiosity even further.  ;D  Whenever I see trees I start thinking to myself, what could be done there?
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Thank You Sponsors!