iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brown spot needle?

Started by GATreeGrower, February 13, 2014, 06:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GATreeGrower

Longleaf planted Jan 13

BuckeyeAaron

It looks likes some sort of fungal infection to me.  Generally speaking, fungi presence is evidenced by horizontal banding on the needles and it looks like there may be some judging from the photos - though it's tough to tell.  If you want to clean it up, I'd suggest finding someone certified in your area (licensed applicator) to apply Zerotol 2.0 (diluted hydrogen dioxide more or less).  This is a very mild oxidizer that kills all fungal body parts on contact. 
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 

Psalms 139, 9-10.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

curdog

I think it's insect damage, looks to be some frass piled in on the seedling.

BuckeyeAaron

The pics make it really hard to see.  And I'm not doubting you guys, but I've always associated frass with woody boring - not needle feeding. From what I've seen, insect damage on foliage usually results in "dew droppings" - sugary deposits.
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 

Psalms 139, 9-10.

curdog

Buckeye you're right I am having trouble seeing in the pics as well. I noticed the banding on the needles as well and I'm not sure about it. I'm leaning towards pine sawfly, but the tips of the needles don't have the typical sawfly feeding signs. Hopefully someone can give better Id on things.

Phorester

Thank You Sponsors!