iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Termites

Started by waho, October 31, 2015, 02:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waho

Can a live tree get termites? I have a Monterey Pine that has what appears to me, termite poop on the bark and it now appears to be dying off. I'd post a pic of the stuff, except the winds blew everything off.

Texas Ranger

Doubtful, what part of the world are you in?  Probably bark beetles.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

beenthere

waho

Click your forum name and it will take you to where you can update your profile and include a location. Will help a lot with interp of your questions.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

There a lots of bugs that can attack a pine tree. Usually when it's stressed by drought or damage and can't fight them off any more. A healthy tree can produce a ton of pitch to gum up any bug holes and choke the little pests before they do much damage. But when a tree is already struggling to survive, a bug attack may be the last straw that finishes it off.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Texas Ranger

Yep, bark beetles, which one, I have not a clue.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SLawyer Dave

Yeah, that doesn't look like termite evidence to me.  I would concur with bark beetles.

Thank You Sponsors!