iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Windbreak suggestion?

Started by Typhoon, October 10, 2003, 04:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typhoon

Ok, I have a 50 acre farm, and this next coming spring, I am getting 1500 free pine trees from the state. However, they will only be about 12" tall. I plan on using some of them to block off a 300 ft line that borders my neighbors property... But I know it will take years before they will be tall enough to block the view. So what could I plant in the meantime that would grow very quickly and block off that line until the pines get big? Thanks!
-Brad
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Kevin

Jeff

After what he justcalled me in an instant message I figured hw was going to say to stand behind Jeff. :-[

Electric Al has done the same thing. It is some sort of willow and at two years old ( I think) They are 10-12 feet tall. I'll send him an IM to make sure to look at this.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I think Kevin's answer is the proper one but I just wanted to interject that pines make questionable breaks for noise or privacy and must be planted fairly thickly to make a good wind break.  Planted at 3 or 4 foot spacing and in multiple rows will cause them to grow higher quicker but the stems will be willowy and require that the density remain to protect them from blow-over.   Once they begin to gain some height then thinning is in order.  It will take an 8 foot separation for them to develop some girth.  As they mature, more thinning will be needed to allow more girth.  That is the reason multiple rows may produce a better break.

Cedar will fill out from the bottom.  While it may not make as tall a tree, it will produce a "wall" that will help stop wind and noise.  Interspersing these two may produce the best break.  Put a row of cedars and then a couple or three rows of pines behind.

That's just an opinion but it probably what I would do.

Minnesota_boy

I've mixed species in my windbreak.  Some are fast growing to provide some windbreak early, but are not very strong trees and are likely to break off in a strong wind.  In between these i have some slower growing but stronger trees to give a little more "backbone" to the windbreak.  So far I have a double row, but I may add a third row to help fill in and will put in trees that are even stronger on the downwind side to give something for the weaker trees to "lean on".
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

ElectricAl

Typhoon,

We are a couple years ahead of you.

Linda and I planted 100 Austree's. An Austree is a hybread willow. Growth is 4' to 10' per year. They need lots of water. Lots and Lots of water. We laid out drip line first and marked the ground where the emiter was. Then drilled holes with a skid loader mounter auger. Planted the trees covered the soil with weed block, then put the drip line in. Finally added 6" of bark mulch ;D

We have 2 rows 36" on center for 300'

After the first year goes by, in the spring when the buds start to show you clip off some small branches 12" to 24". Put the stock in water for a week in driect sun light and protect from wind. Once the branches have sprouted roots let them grow to 6". Now your ready to plant Free Trees. We have been told that you can clip the branches and stick it directly in the dirt, but the growth is not as impressive.

The second year Linda sprouted another 100. Last year we skipped because of the sawing schedule. Next year if time allows we may try 200-300 :o

Try this web site     WWW.RMAUSA.com

The Rancher pack is the best deal.

We also planted 550 Norway Spruce 2 years ago.

We got the spruce from the Iowa DNR.

Spacing on the Spruce is a little more critical. You have to mow around them to keep the weeds from using up the water and nutrience.

We have 5 rows with each off set by half.

I'll get some photos ASAP.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Ron Wenrich

There are also hybrid poplars, which are basically fast growing aspen.  These don't require as much water.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ElectricAl

Here is a shot of the hybrid willows next to the saw shop. These willows are 4 years old and over 20' tall :o

The side walls on the shop are 16'.

The willows are planted 36" apart and the rows are spaced 5'.

To the left is some of the 550 Norway Spruce. 5 rows spaced 6' apart, trees are planted every 10'.

We planted the Spruce tight, to get a visual and wind block fast. In 10 years or so we'll use a tree spade to move them around.

Photo is plenty blurry, oh well ::)
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Typhoon

Al, you really got it together on your trees! Nice job!! Thanks for the replies, I am going to give the willows a try for the windbreak.
-Brad
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Stephen_Wiley

Brad, Electric Al,

Just wanted to interject some concerns, I have about your windbreaks.

Hybrid Poplars/Willows - although fast growing should be considered 'temporary trees'.  Although nursery claims of selective breeding for disease resistances are made; it has been my experience here on the West Coast that these trees are highly susceptible to diseases and further are pest magnets. Regardless of hybridiztion on a more positive note they are wonderful for soil phytoremediation.

Possibly your colder climates assist to some degree with pest management. However, I went to college in Iowa and remember all to well the numerous bug invasion occuring in late spring.

Minnesota Boy eluded too a management practice known to be very effective. Intermingling of species. Planting in a triangular fashion so that inbetween rows are not lined up with outer rows. Due to pH levels conifers although the same age will branch differently in a space difference as little as 10 feet.  Thus canopy width and height growth will vary with conifers.  

Another concern is blocks of  same species are susceptible to like pathogens. Intermingling of species could slow or break a pattern of root diseases in the unfortunate aspect if your trees were to be subjected to them. Whereas blocks of like species will ultimately fail.

May I suggest planting some intermediate trees which grow faster than the conifers but not as fast as the Hybrids.

Since the hybrids are columar ( botanically known as 'fastigata')
possibly intermix columar maple, hornbeam or oak for uniformity in appearance.

Just some thoughts - Electric Al what you have done looks good just hoping this information will help to maintain your grove.  :)
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Mark M

On Monday I went to a seminar on Windbreak Renovation to give a sawmill demonstration and learn a little about windbreaks. One of the handouts was titled Tree and Shrub Characteristics and it has information about various species used in windbreaks. It has information such as: Mature Crown Height, Crown Spread, Growth Rate, Shade Tolerance, Root or Basal Suckers, Coppicing Potential, Flood Tolerance, Wildlife Food, Wildlife Cover, Lifespan, and even Fall Leaf Color. This site also has a lot of other information on windbreaks.

You can find this document at: Electronic Field Office Technical Guide  
Go to Section 1, Part E, No.14. and look for Tree and Shrub Characteristics.

Mark

Minnesota_boy

Gee, Windbreak Renovation?  Here we just cut 'em down and hope they don't grow back too thick.  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Mark M

Yeah Ron but if you lose a windbreak you aren't losing 50% of your state's forested area like we are here in ND  ;)

ElectricAl

Stephen,

We knew before we planted the Willows they had a short life span. We wanted something quick until the Norway Spruce got going.

Our local DNR forester felt the spruce would be a good choice for our area ??? I guess we'll find out about bugs if they happen.

Stephen_Wiley

Hi Electric Al,

Norway Spruce is a good choice.  However, species intermingling is better in the unfortunate event of an endemic disease or pest infestation.

You may want to talk to your local Forester  about known 'disturbances' withing a 50 mile radius of you.  And about additional species for intermingling to strengthen the groves resistance to infestation. ( I am referring too intermingling of the Norways)

The following trees I suggest for contrast only :

Picea glauca - White Spruce
Picea mariana - Black Spruce
Picea pungens - Blue Spruce

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Viking

QuotePlant a fence.   ;D

yeah plant them about 6 1/2" - 7" feet apart :)

L. Wakefield

QuotePicea glauca - White Spruce
Picea mariana - Black Spruce
Picea pungens - Blue Spruce

Oh, wonderful..you have to realize that as one ages, the eyes can do some strange and wondrous things. I was looking at your list of spruce. I am well aware of black spruce, having rendered out a small bottle of black spruce oil from last year's Christmas tree. And I was glancing at the species name and it didn't look just right. The slight offset I have developed (kinda like a lazy eye) made it look like 'Picea manana'- tomorrow's pine. Plant it today, have it tomorrow..  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Viking

Quote  Oh, wonderful..you have to realize that as one ages, the eyes can do some strange and wondrous things. I was looking at your list of spruce. I am well aware of black spruce, having rendered out a small bottle of black spruce oil from last year's Christmas tree. And I was glancing at the species name and it didn't look just right. The slight offset I have developed (kinda like a lazy eye) made it look like 'Picea manana'- tomorrow's pine. Plant it today, have it tomorrow..  lw

it looks that that to me too and i have 20/20 vision so dont feel bad its just because the r and the i are right beside each other haha :)

Thank You Sponsors!