iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started by bcarroll, October 18, 2010, 06:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcarroll

i need a value.  i've addressed this elsewhere, but in debating between a used 455 rancher and 028av super, i've been educated to lean toward the 028.  i'm wondering now if the guy who's got the 028 here not far from me is charging me for sentimentality, or if $250 is a good price.  he emailed me a few pics and tells me his dad who he inherited it from was particular about his tools, drained fluids every summer, and that it was primarily a firewood saw.  from the pics look like its pretty clean, and hasn't been mistreated- but i'm at very best a novice and looking for some wisdom for a first buy.  i'm going to be using it for now as "a saw to have around", and to clear some small deer fields and a sweet gum that fell a few weeks ago behind my mothers house, which prompted this purchase.  after well over 20 hours of time on this and other forums, it seems like a 028 is probably my best bet without getting into too much money, but suggestions are welcome- and again, any thoughts on that price are appreciated. 

thanks again

Al_Smith

I suppose price is relative and it's between the seller and the buyer .

Not that it means much but I personally have gotten much better saws for a lot less money .

An 028 isn't anything to write home about unless it's been worked over but neither is a 455 Huskey either .

I've got an 028 Super in my shed that belongs to one of the trimmers,50 dollar special .It might be okay for an occasional use firewood saw but it doesn't have the guts as a ground crew saw for a pro tree company .

isawlogs

I would not pay 250$ for an 028, maybe 100$ if it was really good looking/working and I was in a good mood. That saw could be 30 years old. ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Cut4fun

Me 028 $100-$150 tops, I would take it over the 455 if the 028 is a good runner with no problems. 

clww

I would not pay more than $200 for this newer looking 028.
The first brand new Stihl I ever bought was an 028 "Wood Boss" in 1987 for $340. In the 23 years I've used it, I have cut in excess of 20 cords of wood every year, and these past 6 years, used it extensively in my tree removal business. It's been to the shop twice in the last 5 years to have the carb cleaned (ethanol).
This saw's nickname:  "Old Faithful"!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!