iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making sawdust

Started by Frickman, May 27, 2003, 09:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

Adam and I sawed some cherry grade lumber for a customer this afternoon. There's nothing much better than the smell of fresh sawdust on a warm spring afternoon. Makes me glad I don't drive a desk for a living.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

OneWithWood

I do drive a desk for a living.  The only thing that keeps me sane is coming home to the tree farm  8)  8)  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Frickman

We delivered our lumber this morning, came home and it started raining. Again. Couldn't go to the woods, couldn't go to the fields, so we puttered around the place the rest of the day. No boss. no clock, no worries. Boy it's a wonderful life.

Frickman

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Ron Wenrich

What's a "warm spring afternoon"?  We haven't seen the sun all month.  They actually report it on the news when the sun peaks through.   :D

It has rained 27 of the last 29 days with more projected in the next 10 days.   :o    I think the drought is over.

My yard is growing mushrooms.  The log yard is getting empty, and we're making as much mud as we are sawdust.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Frickman

"Warm" is a relative term. After working through this past winter, our current weather feels like a heat wave. Our log yard is empty, but its been empty before, so no big deal. It might be that way for a while, as the hay is ready to make and the next dry weather we get I'll have everyone out in the fields. I'm thankful to get the rain this past three weeks. We were starting another drought this spring until it started. We have eight head on a forty acre pasture and it was down to nothing a couple of weeks ago. That's bad for the beginnning of May. Things have come along though and we should have a good summer.

Frickman

ohsoloco

Yeah, hasn't been too warm here either.  I'm still waiting for when I can sit in the backyard after work (11 pm) and not have to put any kind of jacket on.  Of course, these cloudy, mild days are great for sawing lumber  8)

Just read in the paper today that even though it's rained so much lately, that we're actually in the average amount of rainfall for May...go figure.  Once I get the rest of the plants in the garden (if the soil ever dries up enough to get em in) we'll probably have a nice dry spell.

Norm

I shoveled out the ERC sawdust does anyone know if it will be OK to use as mulch on the garden.

The weather this spring in Iowa has been the best it's been in years. We were also having dry weather until May when we got enough rain to make up for the dry fall and winter.

We got the corn planted in late April and the beans are just coming up. With all the rain everything is green and the hay fields and pastures look great.

The mornings are cool and the days just right with temps in the 70's. When I go to do chores early in the morning it makes me appreciate life on the farm.

EZ

Amen Norm, Aaaaaamen.
EZ

Norm

Well I shoveled the ERC sawdust on the garden, sure is pretty until the sun fades it. Supposed to have wind gust of 45 mph today so it should be in the next county by this afternoon. :D

Dugsaws

The wind settled here about the middle of the month, still a little breezy once in a while, but the begining of the month every log I sawed I pulled a 2x4 out of my eyes  :D.
   Sawed a 14' Red Oak today about 20"  and 4' off the ground a big hole thatruined  most of the 1x6 that my customer wanted, worst part is the log showed no sign of defect, almost didnt get enough boards and it was the only 14 i had.
Doug

Thank You Sponsors!