iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this how this saw is designed to be used?

Started by Joe Hillmann, February 15, 2015, 12:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hillmann

I've seen this type of saw before but assumed they were meant for bucking logs to length or firewood.  In this case he is using it to rip a log.  Is this how they are normally used?  And if so what is the final product usually used for?  It seems like it wouldn't cut very accurate lumber or beams.

http://youtu.be/QSuKf-qHH4s

hunz

Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

sealark37

terrifictimbersllc

Some things I remember better than others.   ::) ::) ::) ::)  Not sure how closely "design" matched "use".

Search "death on wheels" in thread title: 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,45654.msg656703.html#msg656703

Can also search "Darwin award". :D :D

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

Nice, But I think the blade needs to be sharpened. :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Southside

Great - I found the mill I have been searching for!!!   :D  No need to worry about upgrading to hydraulics in the future, and I can do on site sawing down the road!!!   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sawyer2015

I would build a giant jig (straight edge). and run the saw down it instead of plunge cutting every 12 inches
mj

thecfarm

I know things can be made to look good in a 4 minute video,but that first log popped right open. Must have a good eye.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawyer2015

mj

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

pineywoods

Saws similar to that were quite common here in the south from ww2 up till the sixties. Used to buck pulpwood to length after it was skidded out to a landing with a mule or 8n ford tractor. I knew more than one person who lost fingers from them, not from the sawblade, but from the exposed belts. If the blade pinched, they would kick like a mule. I had an after-school job sharpening and hammering the blades, $5 per blade.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

RayMO

The old saying "poor people have poor ways" comes to mind.
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

longtime lurker

Yup, that's how it's supposed to be used.

It's a (very underpowered) Hagen Saw. I say very underpowered because most came out with a 500cc BSA motorbike engine, and the repower of choice was the motor out of a Volkswagon beetle, or later on a 900cc Kawasaki bike engine or a Toyota Corolla motor. That 20HP Honda is a lot gutless by comparison.

Still the best saw around for busting out split fenceposts, and as accurate as the operator. I worked for a guy who could cut 10" x 5" x 10' railway sleepers (ties) with one of them and using only his eye could consistantly be accurate to within 1/8". Me, I'm rough enough for fenceposts, but if you drop a chalk line down it to follow I can get pretty close.

A rather dangerous beastie though... you strap yourself to it nice and tight because if it kicks you need it to take you with it. Being towed down the paddock by a runaway hagen isn't on the list of fun things you might do... but if you aint strapped up close it can turn around and take your legs out from under you which is a whole lot worse. Used to be a variant of the same called a Mobilco Swingsaw... basicly the same thing but the sawhead would pivot to do a horizontal cut too. Nothing new under the sun in sawmilling, and sure as hell Carl Peterson and/or David Lewis - whichever of them made the first of the modern swingmills - would have been familiar with those.

Wanna buy one? I got one you can have for cheap, for some reason or other I never get time to play with it no more and it sure could use a good home. Engine runs good, two spare blades, and she's only chopped one guys leg off at the ankle. ( NOT Kidding)
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Remle

Quote from: RayMO on February 15, 2015, 08:48:16 PM
The old saying "poor people have poor ways" comes to mind.
Actually, I was thinking of this one, " You don't have to be poor to be Stupid".

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!