iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade bandmill

Started by Rocks4U, January 07, 2024, 12:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocks4U

Hello I'm new to forum have done lots of reading and watching. Would like to put my homemade mill on for other to get ideas from and maybe get some input here I could improve as well thanks

Started out 3 years ago with electric motors for travel and head height. Quickly learning that you couldn't get the low speeds and high speeds I was searching for so I moved mill outside with more room upgraded engine and added hydraulics.

I don't take alot of pictures I have a building built over it now and dust collection changed to shaft driven gear box. I'll put a current picture on tomorrow

I have other projects I'm working on ill post and get input from this amazing resource thank yall so much

chickenchaser

Welcome R4U

Looks like a band will go 'round and 'round...and hopefully saw flat. Name of the game!!

Good place here to get info and guidance. You've already figured that out, no doubt.

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

Rocks4U

Thanks for the welcome !!! I have wanted to saw lumber since a child and got an Alaskan mill when I was probably 14 and wasn't satisfied so my wife let me build this mill as a wedding present... I so wish I had stumbled across this forum when I was building it... lots of trials and errors .... I have got probably about 150hrs run time on it. Run woodmizer 7/34 1.5" blades switched from 1.25 and made a huge difference... engine is out of our businesses first forklift its a 4cyl continental f163 runs amazing plenty of power to cut anything I have tried so far. 42" width cut . Has a hydraulic log turner that has a claw that i used the design from someone on here that had posted about using it for a turner and clamp. Log stops are hydraulic. Recently got a bmst50 sharpener took a learning curve and have done alot of reading on here to learn about it. Have a kiln almost built getting ready to order spray foam for it. We have a log boiler and going to add a extra pump and heat it off of it... hopefully this year we can start selling some lumber just been doing all this with the dream of getting into the lumber business.. thanks so much ill get some better pictures thus week up close of the drive train of mill

Rocks4U

beenthere

Rocks4U
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. Lots of interesting projects you have going. Look forward to seeing them come together 4U.  8)

You can go to your gallery and correct those pics that are not upright. At each, there is a place to edit and rotate so they are correct. You can use the modify button to correct the posts already posted.

Will be enjoying your projects.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rocks4U

Thanks so much... I'll go see if I can rotate

Hilltop366

Greetings from Nova Scotia.

I got to say I don't think I would have thought to use threaded pipe fittings, interesting idea.

Rocks4U

So far its worked great the slides the head go up and down with everyone uses square tubing and its sloppy to me so I took some straight 2" threaded connectors and put them in the lathe and turned the threads out of them and have 4 of them to slide up and down on the 2inch upright. I used the same idea for slides on the tension pulley side with a trailer jack to apply tension. I know everyone says that if you dont have a spring or a a way to allow pressure changes like if a piece of wood goes between blade and wheel. I have had zero issues. Had no blade break issues.

God bless

Rocks4U

Also in the pictures I have a radiator since then I have city water run to engine to cool it. That was the radiator that came out of forklift but wouldn't keep it cool I guess due to it not being sized for constant underload conditions. So when I saw I just barely crack water supply going to it and will run cool all day. I can saw 5 days on 100lbs of propane.

Blade guide bearings are just the cheap eBay bearings they were going out left and right because of using diesel on blade... if you pull seals out and pack with quality grease they last alot better.

Carriage wheels I made on the lathe I think they are 3inch with a groove for the 1/4" x1/4" angle with eBay bearings

Any part of the mill if anybody building a mill needs help with let me know and I'll give any help I can give... I'm continually trying to improve things

SawyerTed

Welcome!  The proof is in the results!  The results look good! 

I'm always impressed with home built mills that make good lumber.  These things are like highly functional folk art!  There are so many creative ways to get things done.  You might have been better off arriving after your build, "the way things are done" didn't interfere with your creativity!  Except the vice grips on the battery clamp... :D :D ;D

Looks great!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

thegoodlife

I'm impressed with the ingenuity - thank you for sharing.

jpassardi

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on achieving your goal. Fabricating something for the first time takes good planning and a lot of dedication.
You're in a good place, there are a lot of sharp guys here willing to share information.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Crusarius

The electric motor and gearox is interesting. I was wondering how that would work. apparently it works :)

Rocks4U

Thanks for the welcomes!!!

Ya so the first stage of my build with the electric motors i sawed quite a bit with and worked but as far as production it was way to slow... I had an Ac winch that turned the 1.25" acme screws and it was slow as Christmas. Had a dc winch motor running the carriage and it did a great job except I wanted a fast return speed and never could get that out of it...

welderskelter

How are you keeping the straight water from deteriorating the inside of your engine? You would be better off buying a bigger radiator and running antifreeze. That motor is the same as mine on my welder and It wont last long with straight water. Not trying to be a smarty. Just trying to help.

Thank You Sponsors!