iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sweet gum ???

Started by Po-Jo, June 30, 2013, 02:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Mud is a killer for bands for sure, po-jo, keep on keeping on, you will figure this out soon enough, those look to be some good logs, there is a bark wizard for chain saws, I kinda think this would be better than a draw knife, if possible, in the mean time turn the logs with the sawn side out to reduce the bark entry, a pain, but worth it till a debarker is available,  david, side note, trailer decking should be bolted down, or whatever, soon after cutting, they will warp and twist,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Po-Jo

Well its been a while but this is some of that sweetgum i cut , it was tricky to dry, but i am making bookshelves out of some of it now, man does this stuff have some really nice markings in it, i wish i was a better furniture builder, this stuff is buetiful when i did some staining and poly

mesquite buckeye

Bookshelves are a good start.  ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Po-Jo

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

You are a very brave man  ;D.  Nice piece, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

chopperdr47

I have lots of SG tall and straight like tree weeds. Some are not big enough for crossties and I've been wondering what to do with 'em. Even if I can get just a few boards outa one, it's more than what I had. I at least I need siding for the mill shed. Thanks for testing the water.
If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I love Sweet Gum for siding.......I just have to get my nerve up to saw it, 'cause I know I gots to start screwing it up.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

LeeB

I thought that was your strong point. ;D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Large and straight is the key word.  Limbs and crotches are a no, no.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MattJ

I thought of one other use for sweetgum, something to challenge the Autine splitting axe with for a real worst case test!  Cut a few 18" sections and send it to Latvia for John Neeman to try out!

I was out splitting wood the other day and everything was going great until I hit this one piece and my axe (home depot axe not Autine) got stuck 1/2 way through.  Didn't pay attention before but my neighbor threw some sweetgum on the pile.  Took me ten minutes to get the axe out it was wedged so bad.  Had to get a splitting wedge and a sledgehammer from the barn. 

Thank You Sponsors!