iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sweet Gum

Started by NCDiesel, July 25, 2013, 11:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCDiesel

I have an opportunity to get a big sweet gum tree that has already been dropped.  So I did some research.  Apparently the conventional wisdom here on this site is that it will twist and warp bad unless you nail it down green or possibly it will behave if you quartersaw, sticker well, and weight it good.  The tree is pretty straight but like all gum, its probably got a pretty twisted grain.

Problem is, I am not quite ready for the lumber.  Should I anchorseal the ends and wait until I am ready?   It will be a few months before I am ready.  Or would it be OK to quartersaw and sticker with heavy weights?

I was hoping to take my mill to the tree and haul lumber, rather than logs, back home. 

Thanks in advance for any advice!
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

Magicman

Saw it.  It has some beautifully colored wood grain and makes some very unique wall paneling, etc.  The lumber from old growth trees is better behaved than that from smaller trees.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

Quote from: Magicman on July 25, 2013, 11:14:35 AM
Saw it.  It has some beautifully colored wood grain and makes some very unique wall paneling, etc.  The lumber from old growth trees is better behaved than that from smaller trees.
:o
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

IMO....I would rather have a barn with SG siding than Pine siding.
But that's just me.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tjhammer

sawed one it had been down 1 1/2 yrs 28'' butt end dragged it off a creek bank sawed some 5/4 x8'' 2x4's and2x8's stacked in my shop and forgot about it for a couple yrs now I need dynamite to drive a nail but the lumber dryied fine except the quarter sawed it turned on one end
tj
hammer

JohnM

Quote from: hackberry jake on July 25, 2013, 12:38:24 PM
Quote from: Magicman on July 25, 2013, 11:14:35 AM
:o
x2  :D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 25, 2013, 06:22:10 PMIMO....I would rather have a barn with SG siding than Pine siding. But that's just me.  :)
Not just you David.  SG siding will hold up probably as well as Poplar as long as you do not have any ground spatter or any area that gets roof runoff or that stays wet.

Everyone knows my dislike for Sweetgum, but it is the trees and sapling that will overtake any open land within a very few years.  It is very invasive, and I hates Sweetgum.

Logs and lumber is a completely different story, so I guess that I like dead Sweetgum.  Stickering the lumber can be problematic, but the lumber from large logs behaves quite well.  And yes, the colors in SG can be knockout pretty.  I have sawed many logs for customers that were used as wall paneling as well as board and batten siding.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

I cut down a sweet gum tree to build my sawshed, and I am still fighting sprouts that are coming out of the floor. The sawshed has been there over two years. There is little to no light that gets to the sprouts... surely they will give up the ghost one of these days.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

I think that it all depends on what you do with the wood.  For siding, or for uses where each individual board is free to move on its own, like paneling or wainscotting or tongue-and-groove, it will work.  Glue it up in a wide panel for a piece of furniture like a table, not so easy, unless you like a cattywhompus table.  The spiral grain is difficult to deal with in sensitive situations  :).

But, not all people are sensitive  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hackberry jake

You guys talk about spiral grain like its a bad thing. Drive a nail into a straight grained board (like red oak or hickory) about an inch from the edge. It'll likely split on you. Try the same thing with a spiral grain board (like sweet gum, elm, or HACKBERRY) and theres a good chance she will stay together. just sayin. drying may be a little trickier but straight boards are kinda boring dont ya think? 8)

WDH

:D :D

You have a point, but I don't use nails in my furniture  :-\.  It all depends on what you want to do with the wood.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

taylorsmissbeehaven

Had  a fella ask for sweetgum for decking his equipment trailer. Never done that before. Any thoughts?Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

hackberry jake

Tough and doesnt split. Also lighter weight and cheaper than oak. A lot of dumptruck sideboards are either black gum or sweet gum around here.

Thank You Sponsors!