iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How long can red oak grade logs sit?

Started by barbender, May 18, 2018, 05:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Hey folks, I have some red oak that was cut last summer that I want to saw grade lumber out of to sell to an outfit that dries and retails it. These logs were cut last August. Keep in mind, I'm in MN so they were frozen from November through April😂 so if in Georgia it would be like they were cut 3 months ago. I've never sold lumber to this outfit and don't want to embarrass myself👎
Too many irons in the fire

47sawdust

It should be just fine.Saw a test log and show them a sample.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Ron Wenrich

A lot of specs that I've seen says to have fresh cut logs.  More important in the summer months due to staining.  Get the specs and see if they'll take material from old logs.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

barbender

I'Il have to saw them up one way or another, so I'll see how they look when I open them up. It wouldn't be a big deal but they are about 150 miles away.

moodnacreek

They would last a little longer in the dark woods. Out in the sun/dry air is the worst.

barbender

Btw, when I said they are about 150 miles away, I mean the lumber buyer.

4x4American

You may lose some sapwood, but I'm sure the heartwood is fine.  I've seen worse.  Keep in mind that the older logs will mold quicker when they are dead piled.  What I would do is get some fresh cut logs, cut them first then run the old logs through so that they are dead packed the least longest than get it to your buyer asap.  Being as far away as they are you should prolly send at least 8mbf to make the trucking worthwhile.
Boy, back in my day..

Southside

I sawed some red oak this winter that was on the ground so long all of the sap wood was gone, I looked at it and said it was not even firewood but something told me to try it.  Aside from the bug holes, oh my gosh, she is some gorgeous stuff - the red is very pronounced and has held it's color while drying nicely, not dulling to gray as fast.  I would think your heartwood will be just fine, perhaps some will have checked more, but I suspect your buyer will be happy.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

For grade lumber, I look for the "blue bark" where on red oak the bark will get blue patches of mold indicating the sapwood is ruined or discolored.  Same when the bark falls off.  Generally the heartwood is fine, so slab deep, beyond any discoloration or bugs.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Ron Wenrich

When you're dealing with larger users of hardwoods, you have to realize that their market is mainly for furniture and moldings.  They have to match their wood from a lot of different sources.  This is important even in the staining process.

Working with local custom sources, such as hobbyists or custom shops may give more tolerance where the volume used is a lot less.  They can match wood a lot better in small lots, than the bigger markets.

Having knowledge of the end markets goes a long way.  That's why knowing the specs is important.  It should be known before you cut.  When I was sawing, I rarely cut on speculation.  But, I was supplying large users.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Brad_bb

If you have the option, don't have logs sitting on the ground like that.  Get two junk logs to lay on the ground and stack the good logs on those perpendicular to keep the good ones off the ground.  They'll absorb moisture from the ground and rot a lot quicker when in contact with ground.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

mike_belben

If you park valuable logs in woods to get shade and prevent checking, especially in leaf litter,  definitely put some pulp skids under or the microbes/fungus will climb right up in there and start feeding immediately.   Scraping off the top inch to bare dirt or burning a little patch would retard this process a lot.

The air gap underneath lets water drain and wind blow through to prevent good conditions for fungus which brings all sort of bugs to feed on it.
Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

When I get to the bottom of the log pile the ones on the bottom, in the mud, are always in better shape. Dry storage is for lumber, wet storage is for logs. What is suggested about keeping saw logs dry was told to me many years ago and I took the time to do it and it is and was wrong.  Think about wax end sealer, it is to keep the moisture in.

WV Sawmiller

I'm with Brad on this. My experience is logs in contact with the ground rot. The ones off the ground remain solid a lot longer. Walk in the woods and look at blowdowns and see the difference between the ones held even a few inches off the ground by the roots and limbs/tops compared to the ones laying flat on the ground which get punky pretty quick. Based on species even fast rotting logs will be solid for years if off the ground. 

Use your own observations and experience to guide you in your decision.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

I hand peel bark off a log or two every couple weeks. They have to sit in the dirt a while first or bark wont let go of the sapwood.  When i got one thats not letting the bark go, i roll it back into the dirt and leaves for a few more weeks and it pops right off.  

Some logs in this pile are approaching two years laying a foot off the ground and in direct tennessee sweltering sun.  They crack and check from drying, but no more bugs or decomposition. No mushrooms or mold. Theres red and white oaks, red maple, poplar, hickory, sourwood.

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!