iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1974 Massey Ferguson Treever Porter a good machine? Porter or Skidder??

Started by Hillcrest, February 02, 2015, 03:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hillcrest

Hi forum
This is my first post. I'm a new woodlot owner of a 200 acre mature forest. Clear cutting is not something that interests me as I intend to manage the land for sustainable harvest as a hobby. Wood type is hardwood ash, y birch, maple, beech (log quality) , soft wood and hardwood firewood. I have done a very quick cruise with a forester who recommends select cutting much of the property removing at least 30% of the stands. Also some small clear cuts in certain areas. The stand does not have great road access. It is about 600m wide x 1200m long with old "tote" roads running throughout the property.

My question- what is my best bet in regards to machinery? Porter or cable skidder? I'm am seriously considering a Massey Ferguson treever porter. It seems to be in good operating condition and priced right for me. P.S. I'm located in NB Canada.

thanks in advance, great site.

jonesjco

I am new to the forum and from N.B also.  We had Treever or a Iron mule they were a good machine but parts are terribly expensive, as  they have to be sourced through Massey Ferguson, some are not availible at all. Does it still have the gafner loader on it or has it been updated to something else??? As far as forwarder verses skidder it is a matter of personal opinion for select cutting I prefer the skidder but the forwarder will cut down the need for woods roads and mud on the wood if you are going to saw it up into firewood
Gearmatic: 9 little letters that spell big aggravation

kensfarm

Since you said it was going to be for a hobby.. I'd say a 100hp+ 4x4 tractor w/ loader/crapple/forks.. that way you can do a lot of different things to maintain your land.  Many different 3 pt attachments to help w/ diff. tasks.. making roads, maintaining clearings, cleanup.  There are multiple threads showing FF user's tractor setups.. pretty versital equipment. 

Hillcrest

Thanks jonesjco, i think the loader is original.
Good point Kensfarm, I intend to do quite a bit of work besides logging so the farm tractor with logging winch may be the best use of funds. I have a small farm tractor but it isn't suitable for the work I want to do. Maybe just the excuse to upgrade tractors that I have been looking for.  8)

Corley5

I had a MF 5000 Iron Mule.  It was a good machine.  Check the bolts where the blade bolts underneath the machine.  Look at the front axle housings.  If you're lifting many heavy logs over the side they can break.  They're the same axle housing that 175 and 180 MF tractors take and maybe other models as well.  Look at the gears and rack for the boom swing.  Check the center for play.   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!