iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

50 Caliber Bullet Pens - With Pic

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, October 02, 2013, 07:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

Mrs. Beaver has been busy again. Came home today and she suprised me with 10 completed 50 caliber bullet pens that she turned today.

Some are done with dyed laminated birch plywood turning blanks, some with standard native woods, and the blue colored one, second from left is from my dye stabilized wood that I stabilize in my vacuum chamber.

These should be popular with shooters, hunters, people currently in the armed services or who have previously served, and maybe even law enforcement individuals. I have already ordered one for myself 8)

Anxious to see how these sell. We are working a big apple fest this weekend with a good friend of ours. He is one of our biggest customers and we have offered to do turning demonstrations both Saturday and Sunday to help attract customers to his booth and we are going to let him display these pens for sale on consignment along with about another 20 pens, bunch of wine stoppers, pizza cutters, and ice cream scoops.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

ET

I won a beautiful 50cal pen at this years Ducks Unlimited banquet. It is very similar to those you have. I just love it as i have big hands and it fits soo nice. I keep it on our kitchen table all the time. Bet they sell like hotcakes!
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Thanks for kind words ET. You know that is about the exact thing i said to my wife. I told her how nice if felt in my larger size hands. My hand tends to cramp up bad if i hold a thin pen or pencil to long. The other thing is like is that you can stand it up next to the computer monitor and find it easily.

I am going to see if i can make a jig for my cnc machine and be able to engrave into the 50 cal brass casing with the spring loaded diamond stylus bit. Would be great if we could offer these customized with the persons name on it.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

ET

Heck ya!  I see the ladies buying them and getting their hubbies name on them for some special occassion.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ET on October 02, 2013, 08:38:22 PM
Heck ya!  I see the ladies buying them and getting their hubbies name on them for some special occassion.

Yeh boy!!!! That's all I need is for my wife to get my name put on a bullet!   running-doggy         :rifle:

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Texas Ranger

If your concerned about it, it is probably already there. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 02, 2013, 08:54:25 PM
Quote from: ET on October 02, 2013, 08:38:22 PM

Yeh boy!!!! That's all I need is for my wife to get my name put on a bullet!   running-doggy         :rifle:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D  How fast can you run :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

justallan1

Those look great and I would think that offering to engrave on them would surely increase your sales.

Allan

DanG

Those are great!  Just don't take it with you if you go to Washington. :o ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ole CB

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on October 02, 2013, 07:42:44 PM
Thanks for kind words ET. You know that is about the exact thing i said to my wife. I told her how nice if felt in my larger size hands. My hand tends to cramp up bad if i hold a thin pen or pencil to long. The other thing is like is that you can stand it up next to the computer monitor and find it easily.

I am going to see if i can make a jig for my cnc machine and be able to engrave into the 50 cal brass casing with the spring loaded diamond stylus bit. Would be great if we could offer these customized with the persons name on it.

BB, If you get the engraving to work, think abt pre engraving some Military Insignia, I was trying to find one of those pens when my Son-In-Law was in Afghanistan last fall. He had to settle for a plaque with the Marine Insignia on one side and the Air Force on the other.
  Great Work!

m wood

BB, they look great.  How'd ya do at the apple fest?
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Busy Beaver Lumber

M Wood

We did much better than we had ever hoped to do. We were hoping to sell 30 of them over the two days of the show, along with all the other products we had to offer, like ice cream scoops, pizza cutters, duck calls, wine stoppers, cnc routed wood signs,  and other style pens.

On the first day we sold 44 of them and Mrs. Beaver was turning them on the lathe as fast as she could just to keep up. We went home that night and turned more so we had some ready for the next day.

Second day was pretty nasty weather, with rain most of the day, but we were under roof and sales were still brisk. Sold another 38 of them on the second day, which was not bad when you consider the nasty weather.

Best yet is we gave out half a box of business cards and have sold even more on our website as a result of the show and I just got off the phone with a fellow who owns a sporting goods store and wants to work a deal on 100 of them, along with some of our duck calls and other products.

So as you can see, it was an awesome product and excellent experience. We already signed up for next year for the exact same booth location.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

TimRB

Wait 'til someone forgets he has one of those in his pocket and tries to get onto an airplane...

Tim

m wood

Awww, another success story.  I wanna go back on the tradeshow circuit when I hear those testimonies.  Well done Mr. and Mrs. Beaver!!
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff